2013 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: Disappointing in the end

2013 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

Limited Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

Disappointing in the end
By bast2112 on

2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

When researching which new car to purchase, the deciding factors in the end were that I had an Elantra for 12 years and it was very reliable, and I wanted a car with decent gas mileage.

So far it's been reliable, though a few small things have failed already.
But the gas mileage is just plain terrible.
If I had known, I would have gotten the car I really wanted that had weaker gas mileage instead!

UPDATE:
Got rid of the car after 3 years, and I usually like to keep my cars for a decade. The road noise was awful, and even three years later my daughter kept getting headaches from the smell of it. I couldn't smell anything, but clearly she is more sensitive to off-gassing than I (we had the leather, maybe cloth is better). Also, getting my son into a rear facing car seat was nearly impossible. It was like threading a needle to get him in and I just hated it. Traded it in on a used 2013 Toyota Venza and am SOOO happy I did!

This car is great for the right person, but not for someone who wants good gas mileage, a quiet ride, or with small children.

• Acceleration

• Ride comfort
  • Quality of materials
  • Fuel economy
  • Resale value

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By whatfuture
on 02/10/14 17:16 PM (PST)

bast2112: I have the same car. The Nav system on my car got a severe error the first time we used it last week. The only way to fix it is to power the car off and on. Left a message for service but I don't trust them for valid reasons in a dealer review I'll do in the future. Thanks for doing the manual calcs. I'm getting 29.73 hwy - after the break-in period but only on a long trip. My spouse keeps hitting the reset button, so I haven't been able to get accurate mileage for city/hwy yet. The car shows higher MPG ave. and I never trusted it. Hyundai metrics on the internet show their focus is on selling marketing and selling. They now have a better-looking car that's not good. When people catch on, the company should take a nose-dive. They are being deceitful when the MSRP still shows the bogus mileage. Yes, the Hancook tires are really bad to dangerous. My concern is will putting other tires on help ... is it worth it. Road noise is the worst I've experienced. It's astounding and they supposedly fixed some of it. They didn't.