Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Hyndai Rewards Card for Mileage issues
By adveragedriver

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is less a review of this model than of Hyundia in general. In this case, I'm talking about the program to repay customers for when they overstated their EPA estimated mileage. 1st, they "average" the mileage between city and highway. Not so bad, except that they "round" the result to favor themselves. By high school math, whenever you get ".5", it gets averaged upwards. They average it downwards. Thus, for my 2013 Elantra, they were off by "1.5" mpg, so the averaged it to 1 mpg instead of 2. Then they make it very annoying to collect. For example, they don't send you a check, they use a "debit" card which you can't use without looking up your VIN #. Who carries that around?

It is a reliable, comfortable car. If they actually treated their customers better, I'd be looking for them for my next car as well. As it is, I'll be open to others.

They had a chance to do the right thing. Instead, by nickel and diming customers to death, and by making it unnecessarily difficult to collect, they don't help ensure customer loyalty. There's more on this issue, but I ran out of space above....

Beware of water
By ggullett

2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the Elantra limited in 2012 after having done a bit of research on the vehicle for mpg, value, and etc. And after driving nearly 78k miles I can say that there are better vehicles for the money. I am on my second set of tires and both sets have horrible road noise that is amplified when stopping on wet pavement. I have had the car looked at by the dealer and they can't find anything. Also the steering wheel would pull to the left since the day I drove the car off the lot to which again the dealer said nothing wrong.

I purchased my vehicle for 22k on the road. Evidently, my vehicle has lost 50% of it's value after having an issue (see below) and looking at the possibility of a trading it in for something else. I really wish I had went with a Toyota Camry or Corolla.

The vent to the air filter box needs to be higher. I drove through 10-12 inches of water coming home during a hard rain and the car stalled. After slipping off my shoes and socks, I walked the 3/4 mile home so I am well aware of how shallow the water was actually. The Elantra sucked in enough water to hydrolock and bend a connecting rod that isn't covered by warranty. I called Hyundai and the gentleman stated he has had several callers have the same issue. While Hyundai may look at this eventually, my only recourse was to turn it in to insurance. The repair options the dealer gave me were a hyundai reman engine $4500, new engine $6500 or rebuild current engine for $2500...

Great styling and warranty, loaded with features, good handling, fuel economy and reliability
By trmichaels

2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

The car is elegant and stylish, inside and out. The tan interior is classy. The Civic was my second choice, but a little too boring (the Corolla even more so). The Elantra has the combination of handling, styling, and fuel economy that were my three main requirements. It's fun to drive. It is nice to look at. The features are many, especially on this trim with the NAV package. The navigation system/stereo/touchscreen is simple to use (you hardly need the manual) and is loaded with convenient features. The integration of XM radio, Internet music sources, external media and phone functions is seamless and convenient. The warranty rocks. The dealership treated me right. Excellent documentation.

The interior is gorgeous at night with the copious blue lighting (including on steering wheel controls). The headlamp and taillight LED "light-pipe" technology is stunning. I've never seen this on a car before, and it really stands out. I'm not sure how to describe it, but when you read "LED," don't think individual dots that light up, think more of a curvy, frosted piece of plastic that follows the headlight and taillight outlines and lights up fully, like a glowstick, in red on the taillights and white on the headlights. Bluelink feature allows me to start the car from my cellphone - who needs to buy an aftermarket remote start? NAV system (GPS, radio, phone) is awesome and simple to use.

It could use a few more storage cubbies - I don't seem to have convenient places to put things (even my phone won't fit in the central cubby hole). Make Pandora and smart phone features compatible with Android - not everyone has or wants an iPhone. Add an instant fuel economy indicator. The stereo's sound is disappointing (and I have the top of the line model). Spotify integration would be awesome. Change the mileage/fuel level readout area to match the rest of the dash light colors and resolution - it looks less refined that the rest. Add Honda's "lane-watch" camera. But overall the car is great. These are minor complaints.

Was a great car (at first)
By donjo13

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car brand new in Oct 2012. I thought it was striking and loved the colors scheme in and out. I was amazed with fuel economy from the git go. I had a 2011 Mazda 2 which got around 32 mpg and was a much smaller car. It got totalled from a sandwich
between a Cavalier and an Explorer on I-95 near Richmond VA. I used the car as a courier which was driven 250 miles per day. 40+ mpg was typical on my run cruising at 65 mph. I always got over 400 miles out of a full tank. The Bad: Engine knock after about 50k. Car sounded like it had no oil in it. Interior wear was horrible. Paint came off steering wheel center, seats scotchguarded still stained from hardly anything. Radio issues.

Ride, mpgs, I got 60k out of my tires (Hankook). The stereo was nice when it worked. People always asked me was it brand new because I kept it spit shined.

I suggest making a car that doesn't sound like it has no oil when properly maintained like mine was. The excuse I got from Hyundai was it did that because I didn't always use genuine Hyundai Oil Filters. I don't agree. This car was serviced regularly and I used the recommended oil. The car also blew blueish grey smoke upon heavy acceleration. I got rid of the car at 86k. I miss the mileage but not the car. Buyer beware if you don't plan on getting your car serviced at a Hyundai dealer. I don't recommend this vehicle.

Great car for the money.
By kris66

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the 2013 model in August of 2012. If I drive normal speeds and on the interstate I will get around 39-45 mpg's. Around the city, 32-36. I have been to Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head the last two years and average around 42 mpg's on the trip. People need to understand mpg's matter when it comes to speed, weather, terrain and up keep of the car. I have a lead foot and I am happy with the mpg. People complaining about the rain and snow are dumb and probably just dont know how to drive. The electronic stability is great in this car. Handles above average in the snow.

Gas mileage and style.