Used 2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Can NOT reccomend this car
By veevolt

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I hope a ton of people read Edmunds reviews and will not be lured in by Hynundais pleasing designs and high option content. I see there are others here that are dissapointed! I had TWO 2012 Elantras, the first one bought back due a intermitent "no start" problem that the dealership cound not fix. We had car #1 for about 3 months. Car #2 has suffered from several stall outs, this happens in the City, or on the Highway. My bluetooth has never worked right, cruise control worked when it wanted to, had a clunk in the front suspension from 8k miles, the engine developed a nasty ticking sound at idle, and of course the fuel mileage, I've seen best 28 mpg while drafting a semi in Montana. avg is 25

It looks cool for a compact. But don't judge this book by its cover.

The whole car and the company that makes it is nothing but lies, excuses, and deception. Once they have your money thats it. Sour Grapes- cavet empetor- this should be Hyundais tag line! Im still mad three months after dumping this for a Volt.

Very Happy With My 2012 Elantra
By argonvalyn

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I had a 2002 Elantra which I got brand new and traded it in after 10 years of great reliability towards a 2012 Limited Edition Elantra.
I've had the 2012 for a year now and I love it.
I typically average about 35mpg or more and there are some weeks when I average 43 mpg or higher!
Admittedly, there are a couple weeks when I average only 29-31 mpg, but I am VERY pleased with my gas mileage.

The car itself is fun to drive and the interior design is beautiful. The Bluetooth is very handy, the seats are comfortable, and the car accelerates fairly quickly.

My main concern would be the absence of a spare tire...and the fact that the limited edition tires cost a small fortune to replace.

Very awesome interior and exterior design. Maneuvers well through traffic. Fuel economy is great (not sure why other people are having a problem with this).

Include a spare tire!

Windshield & Bluetooh
By vancouverelan

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I have read a number of the reviews and while my issue is not gas mileage (I get it, though), my issue is visibility.
I have felt that the design/sleekness of this model makes the windshield posts more of a detriment to seeing left/right and I have to physically move more to ensure I don't hit anything when I am making a turn.
I'm 5'10 so it's not like I cannot see but I have found this very disconcerting.
For a year, my HTC paired on incoming calls & now it won't. Outgoing is fine, incoming - dead.
No idea why.

Leather interior, XM, rear camera, large digital screen, heated seats and quiet to drive. A lovely car to drive but because of my visibility issues, I am trading this car in.

Internet connection would be amazing. Not that I am going to watch TV or read email while driving but while I am parked in the parking lots of Vancouver's lousy rush hour system, it would provide a nice mode of entertainment.

Dont buy this car
By lysandra25

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

1. lied about mpg

2. 6,000 miles in my car started electronically malfunctioning, would get stuck in park/drive, would not turn off!!)

3. took it 4 times to the dealership over same issue....they claim its a loose wire from when it was built???

4. this is a brand new car, not suppose to be happening.

5. spoke to hyundai and would not do anything to help out but offer a goodwill gesture? yeah thats what my warranty was for ....

6. car slips ALOT....highway and bumps, makes it feel very unsafe

7. not to mention no spare kit..you have to pay 400$ for the kit if you want it, unreal

8. moral of the story is i traded this crap in for a toyota
2013 corolla S and its BETTER.

interior is nice and exterior

mechanical, suspension, how about a spare tire kit?

Look in the trunk!
By cjj71

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I really was a fan of my '12 Elantra since I purchased. No, I have not been able to get close to the mileage stated on sticker but I don't put a lot of mile on my car and they are mostly city miles. I liked the "extras" heated seats, XM, blue-tooth. Price was good compared to other cars in same class.("Get what you pay for") NOW this is why I am not a fan anymore...I
recently got a flat tire (in Feb. in
very cold NH) luckily I was close to enough to make it to work before it went completely flat!) well upon opening the trunk to get the spare and jack I found NEITHER!!! There is a small air pump. I called my auto dealer to find out the Elantra does not come with a spare tire or a jack!!!

Who looks to see if jack and spare are in the trunk before you sign the papers?? (Well I will now along with EVERY person I know) So please keep in mind that when they put that great MPG sticker on the window it is calculated with out the weight of basic safety items such as a spare tire and jack. I am very lucky I was not stuck on the side of the road at the time of my flat, even with roadside assistance I do not get cell service every where I go. Very disappointed in Hyundai and am making sure people are aware of the cost cutting practices of the company. BTW: I was told by the dealer I could order the pair for $250. I think I will put that toward a new car in the near future.