Used 2011 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Don't Buy!!! Spun Rod Bearing after 6000 miles !!!
By johnrichards

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I wish i could write a good review, and would have if i hadn't been stranded on the highway yesterday.
Engine started rattling violently out of nowhere and lost all power.
I was almost rear ended trying to get to the shoulder.
Dealer diagnosed a spun rod bearing !!!
They offered to replace the short block but not the entire engine.
I don't feel safe driving this vehicle any longer ... i guess i'm selling it at a loss.
I'll go back to my beaters that have never left me stranded! (the car was never abused and i never went above 4k rpm).
I guess some things are too good to be true.

everything except the engine

fix the engine

I wish it got better gas mileage!
By keylacat

2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I have had a Hyundai Elantra Limited since February.
It currently has 5000 miles on it.
It is a very attractive car , but like many other posts I would agree that it does not get near the gas mileage that it purports to.
I average 28 mpg per tank.
I do a mix of city and highway driving.
Often just in town, I am getting 24 mpg.

Better gas mileage - that is why I bought the car. Better tires. A spare tire.

Great car
By skisurf1

2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I own a 2006 Civic currently and have owned a Chevy and Toyota.
The dealer experience was not up to speed but the car is.
You just can beat the warranty, the price and free road side assistance for 5 years.
Honda civic would cost $3000 more and probably have as many recalls like my current Honda's.
The transmission kills my 06 Civic.
I feel little vibrations in the seat and cabin is quiet compared to Honda.
I can't say enough about the design.
They have surpassed Honda and Toyota simply as that.

Bluetooth, I pod, steering wheel controls, radio interface, ECO mode, smooth transmission.

Seats are supportive but hard, rear window visibility compromised but design. Not sure how I feel about no spare tire, then again I have never needed one in the last 15 years. Colors for 2012 are not the best.

Mileage issue
By youngblood

2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my Elantra Limited for 3 months and find that my mileage varies considerably based on a couple of factors. 1) Driving at a steady speed of 55-60 mph on an open highway or interstate, I'm getting over 40 mpg. But if I drive in the 70-80 mph range, my mpg drops to the low to mid 30s. 2) Driving in the city with lots of stops, the mph drops to the 24-29 mpg range. 3) Using regular unleaded gas (compared with the cheaper ethanol blend sold in the Midwest) results in significantly higher gas mileage. 4) The "ECO" system has no effect on MPG that I can determine.

I have the Limited without the navigation system. Things I like so far: 1) Bluetooth works great with my iphone, including voice activated dialing--calls are loud and clear. You can also play music from a iphone using Bluetooth--no plug-in required! 2) XM radio also sounds very good, although I would have preferred some speakers in the shelf behind the back seat rather than door speakers only. The 180 watt standard sound system is loud enough. The 300 watt system with the navi model might actually be too much power for the rather small speakers. 3) Excellent airflow even with fan turned off. 4) Comfortable drivers seat even without power adjustments. 5) The car is very nice looking!

1) Put an on/off with on the daytime running lights! I hate having lights on when they aren't needed. They also seem to be aimed too high. 2) Not having a spare tire make me uncomfortable. A flat or blowout may force you to have the car towed to the nearest dealer where they can gouge you for a new or repaired tire. 3) With a six speed transmission, I expected the top gear to be lower RPM. It's pushing 2500 RPM at 70 MPH. I'd prefer to see @ 2000 RPM at that speed. 4) My dealer has no touch up paint in stock yet.

WOW!
By satexas

2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

My wife and i decided to depart from the luxury car segment and get something more practical. We decided on the hyundai because of the feature content of the limited and the gas mileage. We just werent sure of hyundai reliability. I am happy to say we have had the car 3 months and havent looked back. Sure its no speed demon, but if all you want is a great every day driver and a car that has most of the technology of a luxury car with great gas mileage; then this is the car for you. My wife has managed up to 44mpg hypermiling it on the expressway. Those people that arent getting the high 30 mpg on the highway may just need to have a lighter foot. Great car would totally recommended.

Bluetooth, backup camera, navi, intelligent key, push button start, blinkers on mirrors, interior space and oh yeah killer gas mileage that looks good and has the feature content of some luxury cars.

spare tire, better trunk liner, move center vents to higher position, HID headlights, also wish they would include some features found on the Avante like parallel parking assistance and front and rear sonar (to compete with ford). I realize this may bump the price a bit.