Used 2011 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

LOVE this sedan. Have only a few dislikes
By cooperlr

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I love this vehicle. I am leasing this vehicle and would love to own it. Thinking of purchasing it or even rolling my new lease to another, newer Elantra. Overall, this car is excellent and has been very reliable. Hyundai has stood by their advertisements with the fuel-efficiency even though they give me a check for every five thousand miles due to a suit pressed against them for failed fuel-efficiency. I live in the city and drive highways daily. I get 38-40.5 MPG Highway and/ or
30-35 MPG City. I drive 60 miles give or take a day.

My favorite features: * color of interior * sound system * Bluetooth * Storage * Fuel-efficiency * lots of leg and head space

I absolutely hate the seats. While they are comfortable, the fabric on them stains even with a drop of water. My seats look as if I laid greasy foods. I loved the color of the seats but not now. I would like to see an improvement to the bluetooth. Sometimes is won't pick up my voice due to my accent I guess. Sometimes If my husband is traveling behind me, his phone (which has been synced in my vehicle once before and is not the priority phone) will bleed through my speakers. I absolutely hate the machine Hyundai has offered to air up flat tires instead of giving a spare tire. I have had to replace it more than once! Would love to see automatic lights at night.

WHITE PEARL ELANTRA-PAINT ISSUES ON PLASTIC SURFACES
By mary151

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I own a 2011 white pearl Elantra. The paint of the front bumper is a different shade of white than the side panels. Positively more yellow and less pearly. The dealer and Hyundai Motor representatives acknowledge the problem (fading) but states that my issue is, I quote: "consistent amongst all similar vehicles". In plain English :"we are aware of the problem but since nobody complains you'd better live with it". It is absolutely abnormal to observe this situation on a less than 2 years old car and the problem seems to get worst overtime...same problem started on door handles and rear bumper

I have owned several Hyundais in the past and I bought this one mostly for its look.

The paint issue and the cloth material the upholstery is made of needs to go. The stains keep coming back every three months.

Wish I could buy another and save it for when this one is finished
By jakenoname

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I am middle aged so I have owned multiple cars from compact to SUV and vans.
This is my favorite car ever. At 50,000 miles I get 40 miles a gallon... 35 city.
I drive a long way to work so this really helps.

Style... It is so awesome looking. Built in XM, amazing turning radius. Fun to drive. Huge trunk space for its size. My family of four travels 400 miles in it. Good leg room in the back. This car is small on the outside but quite roomy on the inside. Exception may be for those very tall sitting in the back but I am 5'9" and I have no issues.

automatic lights. Cant believe I actually have to turn on my lights at night.

update on 2011 Elantra Limited
By youngblood

2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Now have 13,500 miles with no change in gas mileage due to "break-in." On the highway, still get 33 mpg at 75-80 mph; 35-36 mpg at 65 mph; and 38-40 mpg at 55 mph. City driving (avg. 25 mph) is 22-24 mpg. Mileage is better with "regular" gas vs. 10% ethanol blend. No mechanical problems although I was told that rear wheels cannot be aligned - no adjustment possible. Ride is harsh and noisy at times. "Leather" seats are comfortable and showing no wear yet. Still get compliments on appearance of car.

Sound system works very well with controls that are intuitive and easy to use. Bluetooth phone and streaming connection are clear and loud with my iPhone. XM radio reception is good except in garages, underpasses, or when any barrier (tall buildings, drive-throughs, etc.) blocks the signal. No warranty repairs needed so far!

Better city mileage; less road noise and smoother ride would be nice; a spare tire; decent wiper blades.

Don't be seduced by the phantom fuel economy
By zapfogldorf

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Had our GL for almost two years and got our best mileage during the break in period which we were told was 3k. It didn't get better after 3k. We were told that the break in period is actually 5k. It didn't get better after 5k. T keep this shorter, we went in after each required distance had been travelled and each time were told that it was more. After 5k it was 7k then 10k then 12.5k then 15k then, finally we were told that under no circumstances is break in less than 20k, ever. Where did all the other numbers come from then? Bottom line, we are at over 29k now and we get the worst mileage in the life of the car. We're getting 11-14L/100 km. We're extremely disappointed.

We like everything except the mileage. If that was better we would be very happy with our car.

Advertise the real world information about the vehicle and tell the truth about what kind of mileage people will get. It's too much money to pay over too long a period of time to be ticked off about the mileage we're not getting. The rest of the car, while great, doesn't make up for that huge downfall. That one problem would be a deal breaker if it were known from the start. Of course, people wouldn't buy it if they knew the truth.