Used 2010 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Decent car; serious problems
By anonumos

2010 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Blue 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in May 2012.
I paid too much, but that's my fault, not the car's.
It had been throwing an engine warning off-and-on since I bought it, but the dealership mechanic could not find the problem; told me it was fine.

However, with 38k on the odometer, the engine has blown a main seal and is being replaced completely.
It appears to be covered under warranty, but I felt no warning until oil started to leak all over the engine compartment.
Engine still ran smoothly, good power, no problems...just oil everywhere.
And now a replacement engine.

Meanwhile I have a 2013 Elantra loaner with 100 miles on the clock.
2013 is a much better car.

Gas mileage is very good. Not advertised, but those figures are always under perfect conditions and I never expect to get "30mpg" anywhere. Still, I'm running 300+ miles per fill-up, which is better than any other car I've ever driven. The stereo is pretty good for a cheap factory system, and the spare power plug in the console works like a charm without sacrificing the lighter. It has decent pickup, the steering is nimble, and the seats are very comfortable. It also has GREAT heating and A/C.

I do not like the transmission all that much. The "Blue" version has a very low-geared transmission that asks to be shifted at 2.5k rpm. This means you have to shift to 2nd before the clutch is even out at launch (ie. first gear only goes to about 10mph). This makes it a very good cruiser on the highway, but in stop-and-go traffic, I tend to be stuck in between gears more often than not. It just doesn't match the common traffic speed patterns in America.

terrible ride
By mesa2

2010 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I just traded in my Toyota Corolla on this Elantra, what a mistake! This is like riding in a bumpy truck, not a fun car to go for a relaxing ride. We feel every single crack in the road. On the freeway, it is not as bad but in city driving it is so miserable, no one likes riding with us anywhere.
Not as good of gas mileage as our Corolla either. We have buyers remorse. We would rather stay home than have to drive this around town

2010 hyundai elantra automatic
By jackson55

2010 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've read your review on the 2010 Elantra blue. At first I couldn't understand why it was given positive grades for it's performance and then i realized it was a 5 speed manual transmission. I think a fair amount of elantras are automatic, have you test driven them and i am talking about a 2010, although I believe they used the same power train for any number of years. I can't believe it's such an annoying thing to drive, especially when people go around praising them, i think it must be the warranty they like. I'm not sure how many forward speeds
mine is but it doesn't seem like it's enough.

In particular what i'm talking about is; The car upshifts to early when you accelerate at a norm

My question to anyone with this kind of knowledge is how many forward speeds is the basic 2010 Elantra and are there enough gears for the rather small amount of horsepower the motor puts out.

1 year owned review
By screwedinaz

2010 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Blue 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

overall its not a bad car with the best feature being with 3.50 gas prices 25 bucks about fills the tank at 3/4 empty. with the 5 speed manual i dont have to wait for transmission to shift if i need to pass some body drop a gear and just go. the seating is a bit stiff to say the least trunk space easily holds to big duffle bags. the car did not come with a radio but that was an easy fix. installing a radio was a breeze too 1 phillips head screwdriver and a pry tool to remove face plate.

manual transmission. i love it i control the fuel flow how it shifts and when i change gears. gas mileage in the city is pretty good (25) to if you know how to run the 5 speed manual. clutch is very light. i am not a small guy 6.4 250 i fit into driver seat with very little effort. it does have a cabin air filter behind glove box which helps alot out here with the desert dust.

this is the poor build quality rating. driver side door has awful rattle the slightest thing hits this car its a ding. interior plastics are not forgiving at all and scratch easily. my driver side door and back (trunk side) of seats show this clearly. on cold days there is an annoying rattle in the center of the dash when it warms up it does disappear.

2010 Elantra GLS PZEV - 11,000 Miles
By njscorpio

2010 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

First I would like to address two issues mentioned in other reviews. Those with "bouncy" suspension seem to have the SE models. I haven't had those problems with the GLS. Also it was said that there is a delay in acceleration. That is true, but that is due to the ECO mode. There is a slight delay when accelerating from below (aprox) 3,000rpm to above 3,000. It has something to do with keeping your driving at low, gas conserving RPMs. Disable ECO mode (by hitting TRIP till you see ECO ON, then holding TRIP until off) and you will have much smoother acceleration.

- Roomy for the footprint of the vehicle. - Solid sounding stereo, can clearly listen to music with windows down on the highway. - Pleasant interior design, and I still like the glowing blue dash lights. - Clean look, it doesn't look sporty, but it also isn't a ticket magnet. - Steering and handling is responsive enough to not feel disconnected from the road.

- A turbo would make a world of difference. There is enough power to comfortably pull into traffic, or pass on the highway, but it feels like JUST enough. - Like it's power, the styling is JUST enough. Nice headlights, tail lights, and grill, but everything else is as bland as a potato.