Used 2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Value?
By lucyd

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new last year. Performance and ride so poor we wanted to trade it off after one long miserable year. Car rides rough and loud, poor mileage and issues with the locks and electrical problems. Value is less than 1/2 what we paid after one year. We have taken excellent care and maintenance. I would NOT recommend this product to anyone. I have made contact with the dealership but little response to issues. "if the car engine light is not on it's ok". I don't think so. Value, there is NOT any in this car.

Favorite Feature, I am still working on that. I have not been able to find one yet.

Improvement needed w/Better mileage, less noise, better cloth on the interior seats, door locks that work right.

Great little car at an awesome price.
By tshedd

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is our first Elantra. Came down to Focus SES and this. Liked the drive and price of this better. It gets good mileage (about 30 avg). I've driven manuals all my life, but struggled with this clutch a bit, stalling much more than 96 Accord. It does not do well in snow, I siped the tires and it helped a bit. I think it is the tires. I like the tighter steering and well thought out interior. I wish they had made it easier to use iPod. I feel the car at high speeds is working too hard. Noisy at highway speed. Love the reliability and ownership cost of this little car. After Cash for Clunker paid 10,800.

Looks, economy, price, aluminum wheels and 4 wheel disc brakes with ESC. color - nautical blue. XM - radio. Warranty.

iPod hookup, tires that come standard, engine noise at higher speeds.

Not too shabby
By Hyundai Owner 23

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car in Aug. 2009 and have had incredible fuel mileage from the beginning. I am surprised to see people putting numbers below 30 mpg. I haven't gotten anything below 32 mpg. I got 36 my last fill up. I commute 70 miles a day driving around 55 mph most the way. This car is great for that (commuting).

iPod hookup/display, blue interior lighting, spaciousness, roominess, gas mileage.

Quicker acceleration, make a little more sportier looking, smoother shifter.

Solid safe reliable transportation
By Paul

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We have owned our 2009 Elantra for about a year and have found it to be a very solid, comfortable, reliable car. The exterior styling and performance are on the boring side but the features for the price paid more than compensate for these shortcomings.

Fog lamps, quiet ride, comfortable seats, big trunk.

Power steering feels very vague (more like an old Lincoln Town Car than a compact sedan)

Winter driving NOT GOOD
By mick

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love Hyundai. I own 4 (2002, 2003, 2006, 2009)! All have been great. My only complaint is with my latest the 2009 is absolutely terrible on ice and snow. Whatever Hyundai changed for this model makes it extremely dangerous for any winter driving. Please fix this in the future!

all the options