Used 2009 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Competent Commuter Except in Snow
By waldteufel

2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in July 2009 for my daily commute and to run kids around town for music lessons, sports, you name it.
The positive reviews, incredibly low price, and long warranty make this basic piece of transportation ideal for my needs now.
MPG varies from 28-33 combined depending on the weather, really expected much better.
It took a long time to get adjusted to the clunky, sticky manual transmission; nothing like the Mercedes 230 or VW Golf sticks I used to drive.
I tried to find an American brand vehicle of similar cost and quality but nothing came close.

The low, low price and complete lack of mechanical problems is great, but the high torque and quick accelleration with the 5-speed stick provides as much fun as a middle-aged suburban dad can hope for, plus the iPod connection and XM radio keep the kids occupied.

There is already a new Elantra model, but used car buyers in the rust belt should know this thing is terrible in winter weather driving conditions, I don't know if its the weight distribution or the tires but I'm buying real winter tires next year. The cheap-feeling plastic interior scratches easily and the wierd stretchy seat fabric gets and stays dirty looking.

wouldnt recommend to anyone
By Anonymous

2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

very unhappy with the car, haven't even had it 2 years yet and I'm having problems, luckily nothing with the engine, it all seems to be electrical or interior problems except for the awful noise that my back window makes when I go over bumps, it makes this loud cracking noise like the window is going to fall out. Also you can tell the interior is cheap plastic because while driving all I hear is rattling, like something is loose in the dash. I will be getting rid of the car ASAP. Also had a brand new 2008 Accent before this car and had engine problems and brought it back within 8 months of purchase.

The AUX input

overall they could work on the quality of the car.

Are we all driving the same car?
By GrampaL

2009 Hyundai Elantra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I swear some of the reviews are on different vehicles. My carpet fits, radio works, the engine runs well, the car handles well, and it's relatively quiet at all speeds, gets 34 mpg on Xway (28-29 in town) as advertised. I have had no problems whatever with only routine maintenance. The OEM tires aren't great in snow, but here's a tip folks - it's the tires.. not the car. I had this problem in spades on a Maxima years ago. Buy some others if you ain't happy. You'd be amazed at the difference tires can make. Not sure what people expect, but this car meets or beats the competition at a lower price. It's comfortable, roomy and comes with a superior warranty. What more can you expect?

SE rides and handles well for what it is - a 4-door sedan. Has front and side curtain airbags. The MPG is easy to learn to like. Service in several dealerships has been as good (or better) as any other new vehicle I've had.

I really miss the outside temperature readout and the auto dimming rear view mirror.

Good Car
By Daniel

2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I enjoy my car. It is a commuter car and is well suited to its purpose. I get 33 mpg average and keep the oil changed. I have had no problems with it other than the vanilla nature of it. I knew of its commuter purpose when I bought it though so I'm not surprised. The ride quality is soft and smooth, it does well wet weather but I have no information on snow. The brakes are outstanding, only complaint I have is the engine noise above 3000 rpm is a little intrusive. Overall I have had a positive experience and I hope to drive this car into the ground for the next ten years.

The manual transmission is one of the best I have ever driven.

Better power windows and a different interior fabric would help.

Exactly As Advertised
By ODU Dad

2009 Hyundai Elantra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My daughter has been looking for a car for a while and I decided to assist her. After looking at various options (mainly through other reviewers such as here), I started focusing on the Elantra. Because I am concerned for my daughter's safety, I decided to focus on the SE model, which also has traction control and stability control. The next step was to find one that was economical but had relatively few miles on it. I found a used 2009 SE with about 9k miles on it and bought it for 13k. After using it for about a month, we are very pleased with the car. It is exactly as advertised: a well built car with many important safety features that doesn't cost an absurd amount of money.

Safety features, great value compared to the competition. The radio is good.

The interior is mainly monochromatic. Different panels of varying colors could help break up the monotony. But since this is supposed to be an economy car, it is a minor point.