Used 2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 195 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

going good
By Shad

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in July and drove it 1200 mile from Chicago to Houston getting 32 mpg. Was fast on the highway. Its cozy inside. Good design. Have 1600 miles get 27 mpg city only. A bit slow to pick up and less power but overall good ride cheap eco ride with good mileage. Only worst thing is ac its very very weak specially in the Texas heat ufff... Will write a second review after few months. Got se loaded with sunroof, mats, sunroof deflector & leather for 18,250.00 out the door.

interior space, lighting, seats, warranty.. almost all.

Please get a powerful AC it doesn't work with max. this is the only complaint. n if can get a 5 speed with more power.

Detailed FTB Review.
By Francesco

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned many vehicles in my life. The range is from a Mustang to 3 Civics. This car is comparable to all of these in style, comfort, and performance. A side by side comparison of the Elantra and Civic will show very similar numbers on and off paper. I purchased my SE at the base model GLS price of 13,800. Buy consumer reports car buyers guide, that shows dealer prices, and you should get to that price too. I also purchased the extended 10 years 100,000 miles warranty for $1,200. I am not certain about the reliability of the "new" Hyundais, there was a drastic redesign introduced in 2004, but with this bumper to bumper 100,000 mile warranty I don't have to worry about anything.

This vehicle is very roomy. The fit and finish is nicer than a Civic. The car performs on par with a Civic. The standard options for this car are great. Namely the airbags that surround the entire roof of the vehicle. I also test drove an Accent, but didn't feel safe in either the 2 or 4 door.

Lower lumbar support in the seats. Tires seem to spin, even with ESC and EBA engaged, when going around street corners at high rates of speed. This might be because I became used to my old cars 17X7 directional tires. The trunk seems to keep coming open. I close it, get in the car, and it pops open.

Very Happy Consumer here
By Kevin G

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I spent the past 2 months doing tons of research and drove salespeople crazy in test drive after test drive. I tested repeatedly the Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla, and the Honda Civic. I am glad I purchased the Hyundai, I get what I feel is much more comfortable ride, and it fits me perfectly, I'm 6'2''. It comes with the highest safety ratings compared to the other vehicles, and all the bells and whistles as the others and for thousands less. My first drive home netted me 35.7 mpg, better than any of the other cars. Very well pleased all around.

4 wheel disc brakes, XM, cruise, full power options, 6 airbags, good seating for tall guys like me. The Power Assist steering, that's pretty awesome. Gas mileage...I love it, nice tight and quiet ride.

Tinted Windows, power seats std, for both driver and passenger. UPHOLSTERY is a sticking point for everyone, it should be more dark, or more resistant to stains, that's my main concern. Get rid of the plastic door panel inserts, make them cloth, it will feature better.

Value over all others
By Dave

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just recently purchased the Elantra and the deciding factor was cost. I own a Civic and the Elantra is just as good, if not better. Plus it costs about $3k less. The car is really responsive and is great with gas mileage. I have been getting about 31 miles in mixed driving, mainly city. There are plenty of cup holders (Civic has just 2 - go figure that one out) and plenty of storage space. The trunk is very roomy. I do not think you can go wrong purchasing an Elantra.

Clutch is really easy to use, it is peppy, plenty of storage space and it even comes with an arm rest, unlike the Saturn Astra and Honda Fit. Standard ABS, 6 air bags, powerful a/c - the Civic is far behind the Elantra with their a/c.

Lumbar support on base models, ESC also, and I am nitpicking to find improvements.

Downsized, but still loving it
By Dooly

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Went from a large SUV to the Elantra based on a month of researching fuel- efficient vehicles. This one is living up to its hype. I'm saving $200 on gas monthly (was paying $100 a week with my SUV). I thought that downsizing to a car would be depressing actually (have been driving trucks/SUV's since 1995), but the Elantra is surprisingly great. It's loaded with features that you would pay extra for in other vehicles in the same class. Someone listed the front seat as needing lumbar support, but it feels fine to me. As far as room goes, I thought that would be a problem in this car. Man was I wrong! 5 people (plus baby seat) and all their luggage actually fit in the car. BUY THIS!

Cruise, pwr wind/doors, remote door lock/alarm (not included with Corolla), and the 172 Watt XM Radio with 6 speakers. As far as safety goes, I think 10 airbags speaks for itself.

Only problem I noticed is that the slow cars in the left lane don't move out of my way like they did in the SUV. I can live with that.