Used 2007 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Average Car
By beardude92

2007 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan w/XM Option (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Elantra early November and was genuinely excited as it was my first vehicle bought from a dealership. However, that excitement quickly dissipated the more I drove the car. While the acceleration is adequate, it does leave much to be desired, especially when the vehicle returns a mild 26 MPG on average with a 5-speed. The 5-speed on my Hyundai is also in need of repair with only 100k miles on the vehicle. The handling responds, but without a sense of urgency, leaving a very dull engagement, even on curvy roads. When thrown into a turn, the car listens, but in such a way that it seems lethargic. All-in-all, not a bad car. Just an incredibly lackluster experience.

My Hyundai doesn't have many features worth mentioning, though I do like the fact that it has disk brakes all around. While the automated volume control that adjusts the radio volume is cool in theory, I've found that it is incredibly, and sometimes painfully faulty, often resulting in the radio shooting to maximum output when you try to turn it down.

For some people, a bland, unexciting car is exactly what they are looking for, but I am personally left with a very bad taste in my mouth. Some improvements that I would personally make would be to liven up the suspension. It seems that the Elantra is marketed towards the millennial group, who are more focused on fun than practicality, and it falls short, especially when vehicles such as the Ford Focus, or even a later model WRX fall within the same price range. The radio controls could vastly be improved, as previously mentioned, as well as the transmission lasting longer. My final suggestion would be to possibly downsize the engine, but add a turbo, much like the Chevy Sonic for added pep.

Ages quickly-lost top gear at 117,500 miles
By nwmn1

2007 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan w/XM Option (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was enamored with my 2007 Elantra when I purchased it certified used with 35,000 miles in 2009. I commute 5 hrs one way to work each week. The car's suspension ages quickly, and it seems I go through tires faster than on other vehicles? I accepted all of that until a mid-night commute in rural MN found the car bucking and losing top gear. I'm now unable to go more than 50mph without a new buck every 10-15 miles. Transmission rebuild isn't worth it for the dents and plastic undercarriage breakage from living on dirt roads. I had planned on driving this car into the ground miles-wise. I
expected many more years to do so . . .

worse car i have ever bought
By ruddym

2007 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I got my 2007 Elantra 5 year's ago and it was new when I bought it. there is now miles on the car the car is falling apart. like the rack & pinion, the clock spring. i would never buy anothe hyundai elantra again!!!!!!!!!

its good on gas

Great Car no problems!!!!!
By hellblitz

2007 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The Car runs Great now going on its fifth year and doing nutting but basic maintenance. Never had a break down.
The one defect to this car I would say is the Brakes. The work great and better then most cars I've driven but they are small which means that you have to change them every 10k to 15k miles depending on how hard you break.

The ride is probably the smoothest you could have in a car at that price range.

I would suggest larger brakes be put on the car.

It's ok...
By cmariol

2007 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new. It was perfect for me then, but now i have a 2 year old. With a car seat in the back and a stroller in the trunk, i have no room for anything. It drives me crazy that i can't even fit a full load of groceries in it, let alone a single item bigger than one seat. Mostly because of this, i am currently looking for an suv. If you don't have kids, it's a good little car, but if you do, i would highly recommend looking for something bigger. Also, the check engine light has been on practically since i got it. I took it to auto zone and they stuck that thing in it that tells you why it's on. I can't remember what they said it was exactly, but he said it was no big deal...

...and not to waste my money getting it fixed. So i didn't, but how am i to know if anything serious needs to be fixed if the light is always on b/c of something so stupid? Also there is a little tube that takes the wiper fluid out to the windshield, that broke not 6 months after i bought it, and they insisted that something i did broke it so my warranty wouldn't cover it. I didn't run over or hit anything so i know it wasn't me. Also, everytime i get on the highway and hit 70mph, the car starts shaking and vibrating really bad. The air conditioning stopped working this year and i haven't had a chance to take it in yet to find out why. But all i know is the last car i had was 12 years.....

....old and i never had any of these problems. It was a honda accord, and if it didn't get totaled i would still have it. I miss that car so much... so maybe i'd recommend looking at one of those first. But besides from these minor problems, i haven't had any major ones. It's not a bad car, just not right for me anymore. It got me from ohio to florida and back 3 times, once with a small u-haul behind it and it was fine. towed that thing like a champ. It's a good looking car too, inside and out.