Used 2006 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Not a Good Car
By 06elantraowner

2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I currently own an 06 Elantra, after owning an 02 Elantra, I am seriously disappointed. The gas mileage has gotten horrid. I don't even get 18 miles to the gallon anymore, and it has been to every required maintenance and then more. I have taken good care of it, but the reliability of the parts is terrible, and again it has become a horrific gas guzzler. I am at a loss, as is Hyundai, to why it can't get anything over 18 mpg. It is poorly built, the interior has begun to fall apart, switches and knobs have broken, and the cloth seats are coming apart. This car has been used as an in city car only, but is still just falling apart, and costing me an arm and a leg to continue to drive.

I have no favorite features.

First, go back to the 1.8 Litre engine of the previous, and now 2012 models. Dump this awful 2.0L engine. The sluggishness of the transmission needs attention. The thin metal used for body work needs to be thicker to prevent a ton of dings and nicks. The paint is not a good quality. Make the interior more modern, get rid of the dated fabric on the seats, add more electronics, like sat nav etc... Just stop using poor quality parts and piss poor construction. This is just a bad car over all, whatever they did in the 02 they stopped doing and should go back to, it was better built, and ran much better. I will be getting rid of this car first chance I get.

low maintenance and fuel efficient
By sshegls

2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall this car is great. Bouht it when it was new in 2006 because it has a 5 star safety rating and was inexpensive around 13,000. I had horrible credit but hyundai is great at approving financing. Ive only had to do oil changes and one set of tires. Have 36000 miles all highway. I drive long distance and car is very comfy on highway and its "get up n go" peppy. the ac and heat is fanominal in this car and the hotest/coldest ive ever seen. I still have original light bulbs and only used 3 tanks of gas to drive ny to fl as i commute. car is especially smooth with michellin tires and quiet. There is no wind noise at all. I replaced the radio with a sony and sound quality is 10 times better.

there is a slide out set of cup holders in the rear seat which is cool for rear passengers. I like the lights on the doors that light up when the doors are open that help see and other cars will see the doors open and be cautious. i plan to keep car for as long as it lasts. You can get a full size spare rim for only 70 bucks and discard the donut so if u have a problem you dont have to drive slow. Car is great in snow and water and easy to parrallel park with a wide turning radious.

Rear end tends to lean "sway" so around sharp turns u will need to slow down to avoid fishtailing due to wimpy sway bar and springs on the mcpherson struts could be stiffer althouh these cons allow for a very comfortable ride on highway. ive noticed cheap exterior vinle pillar coverings flack off after about 5 years and crinkle up, also antena pint fades from black to silver. another plus is rear seat back has 3 child seat hooks allowing for safe easy installing of baby seat

Great little car!
By phil110

2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I used Edmonds to locate this car so thought I'd return the favor and write a review.
If you're looking for a good reliable fuel efficient ride, this is it.
I purchased this car a few months ago with 95K on the clock.
I've just turned 106k and other than routine maintenance have had absolutely no trouble.

I find the engine power/transmission gear ratio to be excellent! Passing at highway speeds is a much better experience than I've had with other 4cyl/automatic configurations. Fuel mileage is good. My 30 day average was right at 30mpg (hwy and city combined, but I live in a rural area so more hwy). But I'm impressed.

I'm 6' tall with a slim build and find that the seats could be a little more comfortable, they're just a tad harder than I like (but that's a matter of opinion), but there is plenty of leg room! The cruise control is a bit tricky (as many of them are), mostly in getting it set exactly where you want it.

From the cold alaska winter to florida.
By morgan

2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

In 05 I bought the car as my first new car. I was 19. Got married and husband got stationed in Alaska. So we took my car and his rsx to Alaska, we found out we were pregnant, this car lasted to and back from Alaska because Brandon was injured via I. E. D. And I moved back to Florida. When you take care of a car like this it will last you forever. We traded it in at the very end of 08 for a pathfinder which was nothing but problems so we got a 335i. One of the best little cars on the road. Brandon has the beamer and I have an 07 Civic. Not gonna lie. I kind of miss the elantra. Hopefully my little brother will get one in January when he turns 16 and he'll let me drive it I'm sure (:

the reliability and the ability to brave the cold Alaska winter. the radio,and the braking. also th overall look and feel. not to mention the side airbags.

could do with more leg room in the back,and a center armrest.

Too low to the ground, and inside seating
By joy

2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've always driven manual cars, Honda Preludes, Toyota Celica but times changed and I bought this car my first 4dr, and it's a jewel. It's not fancy it's functional since I could not afford a Prius. My only complaint it's too low to the ground making certain curbs and deep snow, and potholes a major challenge. The seating is very low and very uncomfortable. With so many trucks and SUV in this area, my car has been hit three times in there years, meaning it's low to the ground the big guys back into my car though parked and take my bumper or leave a major expense to the back of car.

Economical, space and basically zippy for a manual 4cyl

Interior seating way too low and to low to the ground for driving in snow, and defending the big ol brutes of BIG RAMS, etc.