Used 2006 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Engine blew out at 34K
By vivient

2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Very disappointed in the car as well as manufacturer. Car was rarely driven and well maintained. Engine power was significantly pales when compared to a similar Toyota or Honda model. Brake pads do not last at all. Our car's radiator blew out at 34K and damaged the engine. Manufacturer refused to cover repair cost under warranty even though it has not expired, basically has been a big fat lie about warranty.
Will not ever consider the brand again.

The price was comparable at the time, but now considering the quality, I would have been better off with a Honda or Toyota.

Customer service was an absolute horror, they hang up on you constantly and took six calls to get a tow service to come. :(

Best car i've never owned
By petarvn1

2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I know, the title is weird, but hear me out. My brother got one of these when he got a job. It was a mechanic owned, 35,000 original mile elantra with no problems with it (other than a CD that was stuck in the Stereo.) The car is very comfy to ride in the front, but rear hedroom is not too great for anyone over 6 foot. It's also a good looking car, for what it is. The car's achilles heel is the Slushbox they call an automatic. We happen to have an '04 manual as well, and it's MUCH more fun to drive. other that that, it's just a great comuter car. 5K miles in 5 months, with no issues. Maintenence is pricier than you'd expect though.

Sound system (stock),Engine note,Fuel economy,and the trunk size

if you own one add a subwoofer, it'll improve the sound system greatly. Automatic is a bit inconsistant under hard acceloration,

2006 Elantra GLS still going strong at 214,576
By binski72

2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in june of 2006. The only thing I have done to this car is change the oil every 5,000 miles. I have gone through 3 sets of tires and front brakes 3 times. at 120,000 I did a complete tune up and had the trans and radiator flushed. This is my 4th elantra and they heve never let me down. Just make sure you do the basic maintaince and it will last a long time. I do drive 90% of the time on the highway. With the cruise controll set at 68mph I am still getting 32mpg on the highway. If i set it at 78mph it drops to 28mpg.

Transmission Problems
By missmyescort

2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2006 Elantra for 3 years. Up until the last week I was pretty impressed with the value. These cars are much cheaper than those in its class for any given year. I had to replace the A/C condenser and a power steering pump but not bad for three years. ENTER YEAR 4 & THE TRANNY PROBLEM! I didn't read a single review about Hyundai tranny problems... but once my car started having problems I googled "hard shift from 2nd to 3rd after car has warmed up" and WOW! A lot of people have had this problem. Replacement was the only successful fix (appears it doesn't lead to failure but I can't live it). These car also have timing belts, another expensive maintenance item so trade it in I did.

Pretty quick, cheap parts & perfectly sized (not too small, not too big).

Spongy handling, CD player quit working & light switch occasionally kills battery even though its been selected "OFF". Fuel mileage is average for a car its size at best.

Still going strong
By dragunz

2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Well, here it is 2013 and my 2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS is still going strong.
128k miles on it, its paid off, and it has only had a few issues over the past six years other than standard maintenance.
The one thing that still irks the hell out of me though is the staring wheel material.
It has degraded and is basically crumbling away.
I took it to the dealership when i was still within the 60k bumper to bumper warranty.
They had the nerve to tell me it was not covered and i was causing the damage with my finger nails???
Oh well, that's what black electrical tape and steering wheel covers are for.
All in all i am hoping to keep this car another two years for my daughter.

The amount of 'cubbie holes' and spaces to put stuff in this car seem endless!! The trunk is nearly the same size as my mothers Lincoln Town Car!!! Mechanically it has exceeded my expectations, i just changed my first signal light after almost 6 years! The six speaker sound system was excellent for such an inexpensive car.

PLEASE....fix whatever the material they are using for the steering wheel!! It does not hold up, and i hear that Hyundai is still denying people who have these issues fixes. Increase the size of the sunglasses holder, while it is wide enough, there is not enough depth for larger sunglasses.