Used 2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

116,800 mi, 8 years--never let me down!
By jasonhk

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I'm surprised at all the mixed reviews here. I live in PA and bought my Elantra new in '06. roughly 6 months are cold, some snowy. I do 50% highway, 50% city. I do all recommended maintenance and in almost 8 years, changed brake pads 2x, tires 3x, headlights 4x, radiator 1x (102kmi), and an 02 sensor. The car NEVER let me down and repairs have been minimal and reasonable. I'm considering getting a new Elantra due to greater safety specs, but I'm leaning towards just putting in another new timing belt at 120 and doing the service. I totally see myself getting over 200K. Those who report bad things probably beat the hell out of their car. Just take care of it!

Fuel economy has been good...I generally get ~ 400 mi/tank. Don't ask me why I measure it that way! It comes out to what, 35 mi/gal? It's been an inexpensive and reliable care...there is at least one thing I'd improve...next section.

The windows tend to get very foggy...like more so than they should. The AC blower usually fixes it, but the windows get foggier than they should and more often they they should. Don't know what's up with KAG, but oh well.

Extremely Unhappy with my choice
By mike794

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a Hyundai Elantra in 2006. About 11k miles on the car that I noticed my right rear tire's treads are exposed. I TOOK THE CAR TO FIRE STONE ON TALBERT AVE. IN FOUNTAIN VALLEY CA., TO BUY A NEW TIRE, THE ATTENDANT BEFORE SEEING THE CAR ASKED ME IF I NEED TO REPLACE THE RIGHT REAR TIRE OF A HYUNDAI. I asked how did he know about the exact tire of the specific car he told me this is a common problem with HYUNDAIS
Shortly after my driver side door handle broke while under warranty TUTTLE CLICK HYUNDAI said it is vandalism and not covered under warranty. I followed all procedures and finally went to SMALL CLAIM COURT where the judge ruled no one is responsible for the warranty work

My favorite feature of this car is that I have new tires every 10k miles because of the problem I have with this car that goes through tires like hot cake It keeps me on my toes about remembering where I park it because the panic alarm feature stopped working after the first year And lastly I would be very happy about having a new interior too, if I could afford to have it replaced because d fabric on the consul between the two front seats is cut too small and the edges have come out and being exposed. The very best thing about this car is loosing the value so quickly that before long you have to get rid of it while you can recover some of your money to use toward buying another car

My honest suggestion is to keep a good relation with your customers so they come again to buy Hyundai cars, but that would be a wise thing to do if the car owners were happy about their choices. Unfortunately the fact is, that HYUNDAI cars are not made for customers satisfaction and I do not think any one who owns a Hyundai wants to have a second Hyundai. Therefore the dealers have no reason to keep a good relation with their customers, because no matter how they are treated they are not coming back to purchase another Hyundai. One is enough for a life time. The wise thing to do is to keep advertising and sell the cars for about $100 less than similar cars in their class.

Engine blew out at 34K
By vivient

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Very disappointed in the car as well as manufacturer. Car was rarely driven and well maintained. Engine power was significantly pales when compared to a similar Toyota or Honda model. Brake pads do not last at all. Our car's radiator blew out at 34K and damaged the engine. Manufacturer refused to cover repair cost under warranty even though it has not expired, basically has been a big fat lie about warranty.
Will not ever consider the brand again.

The price was comparable at the time, but now considering the quality, I would have been better off with a Honda or Toyota.

Customer service was an absolute horror, they hang up on you constantly and took six calls to get a tow service to come. :(

2006 Elantra GLS still going strong at 214,576
By binski72

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in june of 2006. The only thing I have done to this car is change the oil every 5,000 miles. I have gone through 3 sets of tires and front brakes 3 times. at 120,000 I did a complete tune up and had the trans and radiator flushed. This is my 4th elantra and they heve never let me down. Just make sure you do the basic maintaince and it will last a long time. I do drive 90% of the time on the highway. With the cruise controll set at 68mph I am still getting 32mpg on the highway. If i set it at 78mph it drops to 28mpg.

Transmission Problems
By missmyescort

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2006 Elantra for 3 years. Up until the last week I was pretty impressed with the value. These cars are much cheaper than those in its class for any given year. I had to replace the A/C condenser and a power steering pump but not bad for three years. ENTER YEAR 4 & THE TRANNY PROBLEM! I didn't read a single review about Hyundai tranny problems... but once my car started having problems I googled "hard shift from 2nd to 3rd after car has warmed up" and WOW! A lot of people have had this problem. Replacement was the only successful fix (appears it doesn't lead to failure but I can't live it). These car also have timing belts, another expensive maintenance item so trade it in I did.

Pretty quick, cheap parts & perfectly sized (not too small, not too big).

Spongy handling, CD player quit working & light switch occasionally kills battery even though its been selected "OFF". Fuel mileage is average for a car its size at best.