Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 166 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Decent little car
By decent car

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Elantra new in Nov of 05. I needed a new car after the electrical system in my 99 Jetta stopped working(very pricey repair) I have had absolutely 0 problems with this car. I have performed routine maintenance on the car, oil changes etc. New tires at 60,000 miles. I have been impressed with the peppy engine and love the gas mileage, I average 36 to 38mpg highway. I commute a lot to work and school. I do not like the fact the engine revs at higher rpms when shifting gears with the 5 speed manual transmission. Sheetmetal dents easily and paint has worn off the hubcaps. Interior has held up nicely, had to install new radio and upgraded the speakers. Wish I had the sunroof

gas mileage,peppy engine,quiet ride and interior, no rattles in interior after 70,000 miles.

improved sheetmetal,standard abs,trunk open button on key fob,hate to activate the alarm sounds like a bird chirping,trunk needs padding on the trunk lid feels tinny when shut,

NO PROBLEMS - LOVE IT
By ELANTRA

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a new left over and paid 12 grand and that includes tax and all dealer fees. A few later Hyundai sent me a check for 400.13 dollars. I didnt ask why and only made my purchas sweeter. Im a strong at the table when dealing with salemaen and they hate me for it. 88000 AND NO PROBLEMS, NO RATTLES, 28 MPG, NOT GREAT BUT I DRIVE VERY HARD. My car is a 5 speed and I tow a jet ski and somtimes a trailor for yard work and still get 28 mpg every time out. The motor is a 130hp and beats most others in its class. The is of good quality and im an old motor head and know cars. Safety and performance and reliable as Honda. Hyundai I will be back after getting 200000. I have no doubt !

Lets just say I drove 15 hours and 900 miles from Ny to GA and thats what hooked me. This car can boogie for a four cylinder and has more HP and torque then the competition. I liked that because I tow a jet ski to the lake many times per year and needed the power only hyundai has to offer.

This car has more air bags then the competition so shop wisely.Keep the price low so regular guys like me can buy new.

Maybe a Glitch?
By John H

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the Elantra used with about 22,000 in the summer of 06 - it had previous been a rental car (Hertz?. The cars has performed flawlessly until it blew a head gasket at 68,340 miles. Since I was the second owner - the warranty expired at 60,000 miles. I asked Hyundai America to at least partially compensate me for the repair since I think it was a fluke and they just blew me off. Perhaps it was the last one off the assembly in on a Friday afternoon. The gas mileage has always been a bit lower than I expected - less than bothe the Corollas and Civics that I have owned. I am guardedly optimistic about the car since everyone else that has them say they are great.

Pretty good gas mileage Radio is good AC is good

clutch problem
By Steve

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2005 Hyundai Elantra for 3 and one half years. It will be paid off in 5 months. At the 36,000 mile mark 2 weeks ago, the clutch went. I have had 5 other standard transmission vehicles which have had between 70,000 - 140,000 miles without ever having to replace the clutch. This clutch cost me $1,000 to replace and will probably cause me to look elsewhere for my next vehicle. It makes me wonder whether Hyundai spent enough time and money on this aspect of the Elantra and whether other owners have had this problem as well.

A Pretty Good Experience
By grapemanca

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've had our '05 Elantra for 4 years, and we've been pretty pleased. After testing many other cars in its class, we were happy to purchase the Elantra. It has a quieter and smoother ride than the '05 Corolla, and more power than a '05 Civic. It's nice and wide inside, with good head room. After 4 years it's still solid and tight.

-good power and a smooth ride; the auto. transmission performs well; I like its interior size, esp.

-brakes aren't vented and have required two services before 100,000 km; lousy AM radio and CD player sometimes damages discs; fuel economy OK, but that's the result of a larger engine than competitors