Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 166 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great car for the money and forgiving
By aldvin

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car since it was new.
I had to skip maintenance at times due to have a very small budget.
Something I never recommend for any car if can be avoided, however this car has forgiven every time I have done it.
I used to drive 1000 miles a week, and not once have I had to worry if I would get to where I needed to.
I now have 174k miles on it and still get 29 mpg combined highway city driving.
The only problem I have had is breaks...my fault...and had to rebuild top of engine due to my mistake with timing belt...again my fault.
I have had a badly charging battery start in cold weather.
I will keep this car until the tires fall off compared to a car payment.

Forgiving car...Hyundai has designed great cars.

174K miles and still strong!
By eldom72

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car last year with 150K miles and I've already added up 24K miles to it and it still going strong. I was first skeptical before buying because it was a Hyundai but I was proved wrong, this car has been a blast to own.

I fill up the thank ($3.36 the gal in NJ) every week and I commute everyday 30+ miles. I put Shell gas and it last even longer. it has a very good suspension (very bouncy on the highway though). It has a peppy 2.0L DOHC 16V 4 cyl engine with CVVT which is a great feature on both performance and gas mileage.

The only few things I don't like are the headlights become too hazy quick. I've tried everything to clean them but no results so far. Also the transmission feels like it slips sometimes but I blame this on the previous owner. When I changed the transmission fluid, it was all brown. As long as I give it gentle gas, it does fine.

i couldn't be more happy
By andydemarcho

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've been driving my Hyundai Elantra 2005 with 80,000miles on it. still feels like new! great value for great car.

2005 Hyundai Elantra Review
By md2011

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS SULEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

1st hyundai purchased. Such a good car ended up buying two more hyundais 09 and 11 elantra!
Bought this car after it was leased in Dec 05.
Have this car over 5 years and never have been disappointed.
Only service needed Made (Jul 04)is:

Standard oil changes, replaced front brakes, first set of tires @ 30k and a new battery @30k

The car has never broke down on us has been very reliable.
MPG is good not great very heavy car for the size.
We can get 24mpg out of it combined.
Tons of features for a low price.
For a economy car it is very spunky and has nice handling smooth on the road even rough roads.

Pros: Great value, reliable

Cons: AM Radio reception poor

Awesome Car!

Great package overall for this car! Highly impressed still got it and it still runs strong!

Improve AM reception, Heavy car for its size, MPG could be a little better

A no frills car
By Vinod

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this amidst much warning from all friends and ignorant people who tend to be scared about buying anything other than a Toyota or a Honda from the used cars. Reason why I bought this was how Elantras offered the same features and higher power than a corolla or a civic at a much lower price. After having driven this for more than 16,000 miles, I am very pleased with this car. I have not had any bad experiences and the maintenance has only been preventive maintenance like transmission oil change, brake rotor change etc.

Nice overall package with small user friendly features like a small box beside the steering which can be used for coins for tolls. 2005 model elantras is actually quite a looker. And you should actually see how quickly it gets sold in the used car market.

Can't really think of anything much assuming you are not expecting a drag car out of this. This is more like a day to day office commute car + if you want to do something like a 100-150 miles drive on the weekend.