Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great little car
By magpie318

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car about a year ago with 114,000 miles on it. It drove like new. I never had a problem with it. While driving on the highway a deer jumped right out in front of me. I ended up hitting it. At 55 mph the car took the brunt of the impact. It felt as though I had hit a speed bump instead of a 6 point deer. When I got out of the car, and was able to see the damage done to it, I was amazed that no one was hurt. My beautiful car was totaled, but my family and I walked away without a scratch. I am now loyal Hyundai consumer.

safest car i have ever owned
By lizzy8911

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

i bought a 2005 elantra gt in october 2010 and i absolutely fell in love with it! i loved the whole package and the car was very affordable and great on gas! November 2010, 4 weeks after i purchased the car, i was in a bad car accident at speeds of 55 mph and i t-boned someone who turned in front of my car. I somehow managed to walk away from the accident without a single scratch on me. I would love to own this car again! and also the car i purchased was a reconstructed title so it was already in a car accident and managed to keep me alive.
and i also found out i was pregnant during the crash too and baby survived also! I want another one so bad now that i have my daughter!

Great commuter!
By Salamander Sam

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new when I could not find a cheap, reliable commuter on the used market and have been 100% pleased with my purchase. Comfortable on long drives as well as around town. Only nonscheduled maintenance has been for O2 sensor and noisy visors. Both were fixed with no problems by the dealership. This is a great first car for those looking for one or a great commuter.

Fuel Economy (lowest 25, highest 50, average 30 with combined city/highway) Cost of ownership

Aux input for the stereo. Admittedly hard to find on a lot of cars this year model. I bought an aftermarket stereo to get one.

Bad car
By shadow

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car is very uncomfortable. I bought car new and tires were bad from the start. Brought the car back to dealer several times to get different tires, and never got anywhere. Had to buy new tires myself. Then 2 sensors went out at 30,000 miles and had to go back twice. Back hatchback door won't close properly and have to spray wd-40 on that to get to close. Now brakes and rotors are totally warped and that isn't covered. The 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty is a joke. They find ways to tell you that it is "regular maintenance" so you have to pay. Getting it home tonight and putting a for sale sign in it....Very unhappy with car. Runs like crap and air is gone. 45,000 miles on it now.

Gas mileage good.

Make whole car out of better materials.

Good Buy
By Lorenzo

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased Jan '05. One of the best experiences from dealership. Logged considerable miles on vehicle now. Few complaints. Like the hatchback design, can move alot of odds and ends with little trouble. Getting ready to purchase a '09 model. Solid value. Thank you Hyundai for building a car people can believe in!

Hatchback design.

Fuel economy. 4spd automatic seems should be more fuel efficient. Gearing possible culprit.