Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 166 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great Value
By Fred

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Test drove the Civic, Corolla and Elantra. All very nice cars but the Elantra has many more standard features, gives a bigger car ride and is overall a great value. The 138 HP 2.0 Liter engine is in a class by itself in this car category. Acceleration is very good and the engine is fairly quiet. Fit and finish on the car is excellent. Once you get over the bad history and stigma of driving a Hyundai from years ago, you will be favorably impressed and this probably won't be the last Hyundai you purchase. This car is simply a better and heavier car than the Civic or Corolla with a much better warranty. Gas mileage is less than its competitors, but worth it.

Power everything, big car ride, trunk space, acceleration, great air conditioning, build quality, great price, Michelin tires, etc.

CD player should be standard. Gas mileage should be improved.

Very happy!
By Lovin' it!

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS SULEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Granted, I've only owned it for a few days now, but I am yet to be disappointed. I can't hear the engine and cannot tell if it is even running. The drive is smooth and the steering wheel is very easy to handle. I feel like I am apart of the car when I am driving it. I previously owned a '99 Mazda 626 that I loved very much. But I have to admit that the Elantra is much more fun to drive and is easier to maneuver. Plus, the gas mileage is a whole lot better than the 626. There is a lot of trunk space and there is more back seat room than I would have expected for an economy car. I love the cup holders, CD Player and sound system!

CD player, radio, sound system, Cup holders, storage compartments, trunk, display panel, clock, car alarm, sunroof, maneuverability and feel of driving.

Needs a trunk release on the remote. The car should automatically honk or chirp when the alarm is set. The sun visor should be a little bit longer (I can never get it to really block the sun from my eyes). Should come standard with floor mats and Fog lights. Lights around the mirror on the sun visor

I have had 3 elantras
By Debbie

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is our 3rd Elantra. We also own a Sonata. We love our Hyundais. I recommend the 5 speed. This car is the best in its class for quality, price and overall performance. We love it!!!

Gas mileage is great. Looks sleek going down the road. Overall best looking small car out there for the $$$!!

The interior is a bit cramped. 2 adults can sit in the front seat, but their arms will touch on the center console. I done care for the interior colors. That is probably my biggest complaint.

Hyundai on the move to the top!!
By 1SweetV6

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We traded in my wifes 01 Neon, it stunk on gas. We went with the Hy Elantra because of the warrenty. She drives 100+ miles a DAY!! We couldn't find any other car for the price+value+warrenty. Nothing came close to it. All power options+ Sun R, CD, Keyless, etc. Rides very nice, nice seats, nice looks, not much road noise, less then the Neon that's for sure!

Smooth running on HWY. Little noise. Ok sound system. Great gas mlg. We have seen 35+. Mostly HWY but some city/stop & go. Still great over all.

Change the trunk lid. I am only 6ft & hit my head when loading. THAT'S the #1 issue & only real complaint. Charge less for a cd player. 600 is NOT worth it. I can get a really nice one for half that. Add some dash trim. kind of plain looking.

High quality and reliable
By Scott

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's going on 2 years since I bought the car. I just passed 50,000 miles of mostly back road driving. I bought the manual so that I could pass on country roads and it performs beautifully although it does struggle in 5th up the steep glacier-carved hills of upstate New York. Gas mileage is about 29 mpg with little highway. The interior has enough room for my 6' 4" frame. The quality is great, and better than my 2004 Toyota Sienna. My only problems have been with the windshield squirters and the roof trim (held on by weak plastic clips that can't take being hit by a snow shovel). For the money, it is a great little car.

Air conditioner really pumps it out, 5-speed great for passing and controlling speed down hills, split fold-down back seat great for carrying skis, rear windows go almost all the way down, all the extras for the price

Decent windshield squirters, more solid trim, standard CD (cassette great for long-distance commuters listening to books-on-tape), better antenna, accessible headlight bulbs, better remote (too easy to accidently lock the car - the car seems to lock itself sometimes), can be hard to get into reverse