Used 2004 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 289 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great Reliability
By Michael Jordan

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

this has been a great car. very reliable, have not had one mechanical problem with this car. i would buy this car again.

great sound system. miles to empty odometer

gas mileage, paint/trim

Great for the money.
By Diane's

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What has been done to this car that is not a wear item: 1) Clutch interlock switch (so it starts). 2) Clutch Slave Cylinder (recently) Maintenance Items: 1) Timing Belt. 2) Front Brake Pads. 3) Tires. 4) Oil changes. 5) Antifreeze change. Super reliable.... I am in the rust belt, so I expect an exhaust pipe in the future.

Reliability.

Could come with a CD.

Hyundai
By Charbabe86

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this care for almost 5 years. I haven't had a single problem with it other than minor things like oil changes, tire rotations, things like that. It was cheap and affordable...Hyundai's are by far the best car for the money.

keyless entry

just put cd players and cruise control in all of them. I had to get one installed in mine.

Still going after 5 years
By KSierra

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Elantra just a little over 5 years ago and it’s still going. I purchased the extended 100,000mi/10yr bumper to bumper warranty. I’ve had to have my air bag sensors (both driver and passenger)and Kenwood CD player replaced. I’ve also replaced my headlights a few times. Didn’t have to pay for any of it! I leave my headlights on ALL the time so burning them out is to be expected. Over all I’m am super happy with my Elantra. I drive between 20 and 30 miles every day on average and get great mileage. Maintenance is a little pricey (in for my 60k,today ouch!) but the dealership is reliable and friendly (same guys in the service department since I got my car!)

All the standard options make it a great value-especially the safety features. Love my color - Tidal Wave (Blue). Handles well. Fabulous warranty that is far outlasting my car payment! Fun to drive. Good amount of space for a "compact" car.

Paint is a little thin. And road noise can be a little loud sometimes. Keyless trunk entry would be great.

A big time lemon!!!
By John N

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car gave me problems practically from the get go. The air conditioner went out literally 8 times in the 5 years I owned it!!! The first 6 were covered under warranty, but after the warranty expired, the dealership refused to stand by their work and fix it for free. Also, both cv joints went, and the cooler system needed major repairs. All of this before 80,000 miles, and I was meticulous with the maintenance. I never missed anything. I will never buy a Hyundai again.

The warranty, because with Hyundai, you'll need it quite often.

Make a more quality vehicle. There was simply no excuse for this car having all of the problems it did.