Used 2004 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 289 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Farewell, old friend
By avhelp

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Someone once told me machines don't have a soul.
I disagree.
My Hyundai took me to work and happy places, safely and always got me home.

We logged 131K miles together, and it just got to the point where it got tired. Life had been perfect except for a battery at 100K.

Now, at 131K, We needed new struts,shocks, breaks, timing belt, water pump, CV joints, tires and headlight glass.
With all that mileage, how much longer could we go on before something big broke?

I took the repair money and bought it's cute cousin, the SOUL.
I know the Kia and Hyundai family are as one, so I am looking forward to more far off trips to enjoy.

Thank you, Blue Hyundai, for taking me to and from safely.

My favoite feature of this car is the air conditioning. I can think of only 2 days last winter where I opened the window to the South Florida breeze. Another favorite was the great stock speakers. I replaced the car radio with one with an AUX jack for my EVO 4G, and the sound from PANDORA is fantastic. No need for Seirus- digital sound from the Internet! The most important feature was the reliabitily. Turn the key and go. Always. Even when the battery was going bad, it still turned over first try.

I held the steering wheel with my left arm perched on the window sill and my hand clutched the steering wheel at the junction of the spoke to the horn ring. Eventually, this coating started to flake off, probably from the oils in my hand. A $12.00 steering wheel cover hid the missing rubber coating from the steel wheel. If Hyundai would go back to a steel timing chain, it would make maintenance a lot cheaper. Major engine surgery every 70K? No need, a better design is needed. Actually, no complaints. I am selling my Hyundai cheap because of the repairs needed due to wear.

Such a good car
By missij12

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new back in college. 8 years and 100k miles later I'm finally about to give it up for something larger. The biggest repair I've ever had to do on this car is replace the battery. Other than that, every day this car has started right up and performed great. It's been all over the country and even got me through the mountains without a problem. I couldn't ask for better gas mileage out of a car with such good acceleration. I did install an aftermarket stereo a few years ago to support my Ipod but the factory stereo was fine besides that. It's going to be hard to say goodbye!

Hyundai Elantra
By drealee73

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was in an accident with my 2004 Hyundai Elantra and although it was totaled, there is nothing bad I can say about this car. The other guy ran a red light and I t-boned him at 60 mph. The airbag deployed and my seat belt did not break. This accident was three days ago and I'm just sore. No broken bones. I was at the emergency room for about 30 minutes and was told I was fine and could leave. My Hyundai Elantra saved my life and that is why I'm taking the time to write this review. I highly recommend this vehicle for its comfort, safety, size, and pretty much everything else about it.

The thing I loved most about my Elantra was how comfortable and large it was on the inside but it still looked great on the outside.

There is nothing to improve about this vehicle.

2004 Hyundai Elantra
By tlc51

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my elantra 5 years ago second hand with almost 40k on the clock.

In the time that i have been driving this vehicle it has performed very well.
Trips to Queensland and other parts of N.S.W.
and on quite a few occations towed a trailer or a caravan with this car with no faults at all
but only recently replaced the starter moter.
had all the servicing done accoding to the log book and had the timming belt relaced .
and now in may of 2011 i have only done 125,000. ks
I did have a bit of trouble with the remote to unlock and lock the car as the warrenty was comming to the end and was charged for the recharge of another remote .
but inall it has been my best car yet .

Great except for gas economy for size
By jobber1

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought it new and now have 162 K on it. Nothing's been required beyond standard maintenance. I have never had any problems with it and it is fun and comfortable to drive (and I am 6'10"). I have owned a 1972 Fiat 124 sedan (auto), 1982 Toyota Tercel (stick), 2001 Honda Accord (auto), 1974 VW Rabbit (stick), diesel 1980 VW Dasher (stick), and a 4-cyl. 1989 Dodge Spirit (stick!). I would rank this Elantra up with any of them ... except for gas economy. The fuel economy is disappointing, but to fair, it does get what the sticker said it would (around 30 hwy). That was like worst of its class that year. (The 2011 Elantra is best! Oh well.) I love my Elantra.