Used 2003 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 375 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

great ride
By irlaxhicksy

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i average about 30,000 miles a year and i have not had any problems with this car other then a thermostat at 75000 miles and oxygen sensor at 70000 miles, i live in the north east where we average five to six feet of snow a year and i never have had a problem in the snow till start driving in about a foot of it, and that's with two rear tires that wont pass inspection now

powerful engine for a 4 cyl, plenty of trunk space, in the door storage, heated mirrors

gas mileage, this car is worst 4 cyl i have owned on gas but i still average 28 city and highway mix in summer and around 25 in the winter

2003 elentra
By chebba

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Car was purchased new. It can handle quite a lot: I had several huge people in my elentra when I struck the mother of all potholes traveling at a high rate of speed on the God forsaken streets of Brooklyn NY, I really thought at the very least there should have been casualties but to my amazement the car was not affected in any way. Another time my father had a huge accident drunk driving accident, it cost so many thousands to piece the car together everyone suggested the car should be scrapped yet the insurance carrier insisted it be repaired. To my amazement the car still rides well after massive cross- your finger type of repairs.

a lot of them-------------

fuel economy, I have had several 4 cylinder cars in my lifetime and this one just uses the most gas. Stock radio department should be brought up on charges for abusing their membership cards to the human race by allowing such a terrible radio to be installed in these cars.

Nice Car, Bad MPG
By Chen

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A very good car. I got it as a used one with 35,000 miles. It's comfort but very, very poor mpg in city. ~ 200-250 miles/tank (14.5 gallon). Omg, where is the gas going? but good mpg in highway, ~ 30 mpg.

fun drive

fuel economy

VERY DISAPPOINTED
By Mrs Barrett

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 06 with only 15k miles on it so it was like brand new. I bought it because of the reputation of reliability, quality and gas mileage. But right at 50,000 miles in the middle of a road trip, my radiator suddenly cracked without warning and all of my coolant leaked out on the spot and my engine overheated. It all happened within 60 seconds at a stop light. I ended up stranded for 4 full days. Finally the dealership discovered the cracked radiator. No one can explain why that happened. I have kept impeccable care of the car. In fact I checked my coolant levels etc before I left on the trip. All was fine. It cost me over $1000 and now I am nervous to go on a trip!

Gas mileage. Sun roof. Cruise control. Cup holders

I really take good care of my car but so much inside is broken. The mirrors on the visor, the ash tray, the net pockets on the backs of the seats, the trunk release etc.

Great Car!
By Hyndi03

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car pre-owned with 50,000 miles on it and it now has 88,000 and never had a problem. Had the car two years and constantly commute state to state. I can put $35 of gas in the tank (which is about 14 gallons if you really push it) and get around 450 miles to the tank. Drove from Philadelphia to Vermont without filling up and still had gas left over! Keep up on the oil changes, transmission flushes, and the tune ups and this car will never leave you stranded. Reliable, simple, and has good pickup.

Car has good handling and an easy feel to it. Very nice ride.

The headlights are ridiculous...they burn out frequently and when you need to repair them practically need to take the battery out to get to them. The brake lights are the same way. It's $15 a bulb and I have replaced them both about 3 times in 2 years.