Used 2003 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 375 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great Car Great Price
By kccoflbp

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in 2008 with 26,000 miles for 5200 dollars. Still own it and love it today. Now has 126,000 miles and running strong. The only maintenance we have done is regular oil changes and timing belt change at 70,000 miles. Averaging 35 miles per gallon.

Rear defroster, Heater, Gas mileage, handling, surprising power. Gearing is just right for me.

Better radio and speakers, better brakes.

I loved my Elantra!
By pagan_born87

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car and I got it back in 2006 with 110,000 miles on it. Drove it back and forth from WV to VA and never had a problem with it, it handled great and got really good milage (a full tank could get me from VA beach to the mountains just fine!). It was really reliable and the only things I've ever had to replace on it was the timing belt and recently the battery (at around 147,000 miles).
It was recently totaled (the front end pan caked but that was my fault!) and I miss it a lot. I loved it so much I find myself looking to trade in the fantasy kia I got so I can buy another Elantra.
It is a really great car and I would recomend it to anyone!

sun roof, great acceleration, low cost at the gas station, fun to drive

Could have had a stronger frame but other then that I wouldn't change a thing!

Functional Car. Great for teens
By clcs5860

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the vehicle in late 2005 with only 19K miles on it.

Was a good purchase.
Drove it for a year and the sold it to my teenage son for $2000.
Great inexpensive transportation.
Unfortunately car was totaled in a hail storm.

Fold down back seat.

Peppier engine, better suspension. I think the new ones have these improvements.

Great MPG/Great Bang for the Buck
By rkovach51

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love it.I bought my 2003 Elantra 5-speed manual w/35,000 miles in March 2003 from the dealership; have 7000 more miles on it. (Hyundai is THE benchmark for customer service in this market!!!). I get 31+ mpg city/hwy and 33+ mpg on freeway travel from Chicago to Northern Ohio at 75+ mph.
Great car!
Room enough for the single person or small family; great handling; heater brings up good heat in cold weather within 1/2 mile or so; front SIDE airbags.
A little noisy in the manual 5-speed. Runs remarkably smooth on mid-priced tires (Barum Tires).
Caution: It does take a crowbar and body builder to yank the tire off the wheel!
I would buy a new (and now larger) Elantra in a heartbeat.
Enjoy.

Features: Front passenger side airbags. great gas mileage, great customer service (if you buy from the dealer), easy & solid handling, FWD is stable in snow & rain, feels solid like a more expensive car, wonderful stereo system for a car in this price range. great heat and A/C, never seems to be sluggish, runs in 5th gear at 2500 rpm - great for a 4-cylinder.

Great car
By Kevin

2003 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My wife bought this car used in 2006 after her 1999 Elantra was totaled. It had about 35,000 miles on it and we put another 85,000 on it. I put new brake pads on it one time, new plugs twice, changed the oil every 3 to 5000 miles, and we went through 1 and a half sets of tires. This car was super reliable and I would still be driving it at 120,000 miles if it had not been totaled recently. I have no doubt that this car would have made it to 200,000 or more miles. Was hit twice at high speed on a rainy day on HWY 210 and I walked away with no major injuries.

a little better gas mileage.