Used 2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Loving my Elantra
By LAL

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been awesome!. I got this used with 8k miles for less than $10K and now it has almost 100k miles. Never had a mechanical problem. Performance and pickup is the best in his class. I love the handling, the exterior design and interior space. Could have more interior features. I went to the dealer this weekend to have a full checkup (just in case I want to sell it) and they found nothing at all. So I'm thinking on keeping it for another 3 or 4 years, it depreciates too much (because the brand and not the quality), now is worth around 3K.

Performance. Gas mileage for 2.0. ABS in 4 tires. Good trunk for the size. Interior space is well distributed. Nice exterior design. Good handling and stability in highways. Great sound (4 speakers and 2 twitters) Awesome response in stoplights. No parts replacement in 6 years and 98000 miles

OEM headlights are poor quality. After 6 months I bought aftermarker (xtralights) and I still keep those. Better paint job. 2 front seats could be more comfortable. Wind noise when you are over 90mph. Better breaks system. Headlamps design could be better. Feel like it needs sixth gear after 100 Mph

Nice Reliable Car
By Yogesh Dhingra

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 2 years now, Bought at 74K miles, currently has 112K Miles on it.2 Repairs apart from regular oil changes 1. O2 Sensor(which is not abnormal) 2. Throttle positioning switch. Through it has performed extremely well , Gives a decent 30-32 MPG.

Nothing extraordinary still Gas mileage, Dependability, Very Few Mechanical Problems

More light in the cabin in the backseat Plus I have to replace headlight every 7-8 Months or so.Wind noise on Freeway Speeds.

Stop Thinking about buying this car !!!
By josh

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been in 3 Major accidents in my 2002 elantra gls the first 2 did nearly $10,000 in damage the third was a total loss where I only received $3,500 for my car from Allstate. This car does not have anti lock breaks (abs) and it has poor traction control. In all 3 accidents none of my airbags deployed. My insurance sky rocketed. After the second accident I never felt safe again. The feeling of sliding and then slamming into something is something I will never forget. Save your self and other people from elantras and avoid them like the plague.

Comfortable seats make the slide and slam show all the better.

Massive revision of the elantra line

198,000 km and still rolling
By Nick

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 4 months ago had to change the radiator, the battery and the head light now have to change the exhaust, the alternator and the spark plugs despite of this... Man I love my car! Nice plastic wood finish, engine not hard on oil and engine very peppy for a 2.0l 4 cyl. Only paid 1500$ and I knew I had to put money in it but I didn't mind cause Hyundai is a very reliable brand and that my car will last for another 198,00 km ; )

great sound system

cruise control ( put it somewhere else lol) seats uncomfortable on long distance, head lights

Few Repairs until Engine Failure 150k
By PG

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2002. It had only two very minor repairs during the 150,000 miles I had the car 1)coolant thermostat (replaced myself for $30. 2)Headlight bulbs - replaced nearly 3 times...not very expensive but a little inconvenient. The car was extremely dependable on a daily basis and very fuel efficient. However, at 150k miles, the thrust bearing went out in the engine, meaning I needed a new engine. The replacement cost would have been about what the car was worth..$3000. I would highly recommend the car but would suggest calling a dealer first to see if the 02 models are known for this particular engine problem.

Gas mileage, Dependability, Very Few Mechanical Problems