Used 2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan
By dhw

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2002 Hyundai Elantra for over 8 years. I have over 230,000 miles. Best little car I have owned. I liked it so much I purchased another Hyundai Elantra this past year. This will make 3 Hyundai's in the past 20 years. My first (excel) I passed the 200k mark and then donated it to charity. I enjoy the ride and have had very limited problems. I average 29-35 mpg on the highway and around 25 around town.

The 5 years bumper to bumper warranty and the road side assistants.

Enjoy this car. No improvements are needed.

I love this car
By kd1985

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2002. I don't know what the other people are talking about but I believe they've had 1 recall since then. I never had any problems with this car until I moved to a place that had crazy humidity and drastic weather change. Then I had a few problems here or there due to the drastic change, but that's it. I would absolutely buy another Elantra in a heartbeat.

SMOOTH driving! Excellent Air conditioning. I love my sun roof and my spoiler.

Possibly making the paint more weather resistant for areas with bad humidity or extreme weather. :)

Not Satisfied
By ShaSha

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my car with 7 miles on it, I now have 85k and for the first 4 years was happy with it. Lately, I had to replace the transmission, rotors & brakes, battery , lights, radiator, alternator, and a few other things. This with making all scheduled maintenance appointments. This car is only good when it's new, once you pass the four year mark, be ready to put some dough into it! I'm getting rid of mine, never to buy another one!

Inexpensive.

Spend the money to get decent parts made for this car. There are American made cars on the road from 10-20+ years ago. You will NOT see one of these around that long, they're just not built with quality parts.

Keeper
By Chris

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new and haven't had a single problem to date (150K). Dealer serviced for oil changes every 3k since I got a "free oil changes as long as you own the car" when I bought it. That deal stopped when the dealer changed ownership but the dealership was great all that time. Overall extremely pleased, more so when considering the price and class of the vehicle.

Well equipped with all the comforts and love the cargo net that came with it. I never thought such a simple thing like that would be so useful.

The headlights tend to burn out too often, but aside from the aggravation don't seem to have any other electrical problems. Access to the oil pan and general access under the hood is awkward and could be more friendly to owners.

Worst Car Ever
By knaimoli

2002 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I am the current owner of the 2002 Hyundai Elantra that my mother purchased brand new in 2002. From the time it was purchased there have been numerous recalls and so many problems with this car. We have had both axles replaced recently, the car is constantly at the shop and it is terrible. Terrible to drive no pick up what so ever. There is nothing good about this car.