Used 2002 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great Little Car
By Lin

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Read the reviews and bought Hyundai for first time. This has been a great car. Reliable, sporty feel to it. Car has held up well for being inexpensive.

Engine has good pep and transmission smooth.

Cup holders could be a little bigger. Trunk tends to come down on you after you open it, not very secure.

Luv and miss my Hyundai
By twoods

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I got my elantra with 54,000 miles on it in 2007 and the only complaint I have is that I had to keep replacing the headlights. I loved my elantra so much. It was recently totaled in a head on collision and I walked away from the accident with just the pain associated with car accidents. My elantra did a good job protecting me. She took care of me like I took care of her. I will miss her. I never had any issues with my car. If I found a 2002 elantra with low miles on it for the age of the car I would definitely buy it.

I loved everything about her.

Have automatic door locks.

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan
By dhw

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2002 Hyundai Elantra for over 8 years. I have over 230,000 miles. Best little car I have owned. I liked it so much I purchased another Hyundai Elantra this past year. This will make 3 Hyundai's in the past 20 years. My first (excel) I passed the 200k mark and then donated it to charity. I enjoy the ride and have had very limited problems. I average 29-35 mpg on the highway and around 25 around town.

The 5 years bumper to bumper warranty and the road side assistants.

Enjoy this car. No improvements are needed.

I love this car
By kd1985

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2002. I don't know what the other people are talking about but I believe they've had 1 recall since then. I never had any problems with this car until I moved to a place that had crazy humidity and drastic weather change. Then I had a few problems here or there due to the drastic change, but that's it. I would absolutely buy another Elantra in a heartbeat.

SMOOTH driving! Excellent Air conditioning. I love my sun roof and my spoiler.

Possibly making the paint more weather resistant for areas with bad humidity or extreme weather. :)

Dangerous braking
By brad

2002 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car does not seem to have two separate braking lines. We had a back brake line leak, that left us with no braks at all. This could have caused a accident if it had not happened on our drive way. I thought it was a required on all cars to have separate lines coming from the master cilider to the front and back,so that if you get a leak you don't looses all your braking. This car has only one brake line out. This would be a good reason not buy this car. We like the car other wise but did have trouble with fuel pump $800 worth and trans mission sensor $400. After market Parts are hard to get thus forcing to go to dealer and pay there prices.

Hatch back and ride

Safer Brakes head lightsthat don't burn out so often.