Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

I LOVE This Car!!!!!
By Lynda P

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car may be a 4 cylinder but it has get-up-n-go when you need it. It's a classy lil car. My aunt has a Mercedes and she says my Hyundai rides just as smooth....how about that!!! Hyundai's will always be in MY future plans!!!

All of 'em!

none i can think of

Can't Beat It!
By Steve

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I originally leased my 2001 Elantra when new and bought it out. Still love the interior/exterior styling. Fuel economy is good for a car with a 2 litre engine but not great. Good handling for a car at this price point, but slightly ponderous at low speeds. Brakes could be better. Body hardware has held up very well. Resale value could be a little better, too. Haven't needed any major repairs - just new brakes and tires 36 months in. Overall, reliability has been excellent, flawless winter starts. Time will tell whether the car holds up as a used vehicle. The Elantra is a worthy car and almost fully competitive with Honda, Toyota, et al. Buy one, you'll be happy.

Handling Interior/Exterior Styling Power Reliability Overall fit and finish Practicality (offers good value for money)

Better fuel economy Better brakes Better suspension/steering components (should be present in Elantra GT model) Better resale value

"Honey" the Hyundai
By Dave Huffman

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Elantra on an impulse while out looking to replace my gas guzzling Cadillac. It caught my eye on the lot and I wanted to drive it but didn't think it would be in my price range. I test drove it and noticed it only had 45,000 miles on it & it felt tight like a new car. The seats were and remain firm yet comfortable and it had surprisingly strong acceleration. I've had it for 2 years now, and had 2 probs. One was a sensor that was fixed under warranty. The other was a wheel/hub bearing that cost $400.00 to fix. Other than that it has been great! Now when I look at or test drive other cars and get back into the Elantra I find myself asking why I am looking at other cars.

Road handling. Acceleration. Styling. My 14 year old son wants it to be his first car. He has learned to drive in it.

The radio power/volume button is very sensitive. If you try to adjust the volume you end up turning the radio off until you get used to pulling the knob out while turning it. You must have the recirculate air button off in winter while defrosting windshield & windows. Hard lesson to learn.

honest review
By danny

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my elantra for 4 years now. I've had few problems. I do have all the scheduled maintenance done by the dealership though. The braking is not as good as I would like it to be. Also the car depreciated much faster and more dramatically than I expected.I've had problems with the power windows and mirrors too. By far though...for the money... this has been an excellent car. I get a lot of positive feedback as the car performs like similar cars in its class. It has a nice ride. I've had problems with the power locks. At times it is easy to tell that the car was made on the cheap. My recomendation would be to buy one that is a year old , as they depreciate unbelievably the first year.

The 10 year 100,000 mile warranty.

improved braking, poor original paint job. Overall I am happy. Dealership scheduled maintenance is way too expensive. $700??? thats crazy (ny)

Really injoyable car
By frank jaehnig

2001 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

the first foreign make that I had ever bought. I was interested because of the warranty, but once I drove one I knew I had to buy it and I have not been sorry. I now have 52000 mile on it and I love just as much now as when I first purchased it. I think that any Toyota or Honda drivers should try this car before they buy their next as it is a great car for the money.

Great sounding radio and tape system and the air cond.is super. Also the quickness for a 4 cylinder is amazing.

Lower the cost of routine service work as it is overpriced.