Used 2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

GLS 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (79 reviews )

I Am Up And Down With My Car, But I Love It!
By eddied1991

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I actually have an automatic. I bought this car completely on a whim, one because I was pressured to, and two, because it would have been my first car and I had recently got my license. The car ran great during the first year I had it, then I started noticing some transmission issues, but they are an easy but costly fix. I only had to replace the spark plugs and wires. I bought the car at 126k miles, and I now have 144k on it and it still runs like a charm. Both windows in the back have a shot motor, and the interior isn't the best, but I have driven this car everywhere and it still does me good.

The stereo still sounds great for my car being 11 years old. Plus my car has some great pick up.

Headlights that won't turn yellow from the sun :P

First New Car, First New Hyundai and not the last
By elig

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car new Oct '99. Drove 2 Cali & back to MN a couple of times at generally 80 plus speeds. Smooth ride good economy. Wish it had ABS. It was an option but I wanted a manual & at the time Hyundai figured manual was for eco & ABS was a luxury. I had to lock up one time and put a flat spot on all 4 tyres & left an imprint of the pad on the rotors. The tranny did go at 95k (thank god for 100k warnty) The pin that holds the gears together broke. Wheel bearing (wrty) I have 126k mile would have more but I ride motorcycle alot. I thought Hyundai was junk but the 100k wrty gave me faith. I have purchased a 08 Veracuz, & thinkn bout the new Elantra just cuz 15 mpg sucks & 30 would rule

The warranty has been great. Hoped to never have to use it. But have and glad it was there. The things that went bad, but really shouldn't have. Like the tranny, wheel bearing (which I didn't expect to be covered) the exhaust manifold cracked. But I think that was from a bad spark plug to blew. It has always been easy to work on. I have replaced all the suspension and front brakes on my own. I could usually do the oil change without hardly crawling under. I could reach the oil filter from above. I loved the styling and still do. The proportionality long hood and the rounded body. I liked the '01 changes especially the five door. And the new '11 is even better.

The stock stereo had its issues. The CD player would skip on bumps. But the upgraded six speakers were good. Replaced the head unit and rear 6x9s just cuz I could. The headlights were dim, but Sylvania Silverstars took care of that problem. Having two sets of spark plug wires go bad is annoying especially when you have to replace the set and not just one. But a little electrical tape wrapped around the boot did wonders. Had the windshield washer pump go bad more then once. Partially cuz I had too much water in it and it froze cracking the pump. But once I learned how to change it. It isn't bad at all.

Over 10 years of reliability so far
By corky

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Even though I have put very little mileage on this car (26,000 in the past over 10 yrs.) it has been very reliable for my needs. The only repairs I've had to deal with other than field mice chewing wiring, was some sort of valve failure in the emissions system when the car reached the age of 10 years..(a $240 job). Oh, and the cover came off the catalytic converter awhile back, but both the dealer and my local mechanic assure me it's okay as long as don't park on long grass which I wouldn't do anyway even with the cover on. I seem to get way better mileage claims and I only use it for around town errands (obviously by the low mileage). I hate to give it up.

Looks, reliability, mileage, roomy trunk, handling.

the car is over 10 years old so improvement suggestions would be retro, especially as the new models have everything I would wish for. Hmm?

Falling apart
By janey

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2004. The window switch for one window was broken and the speedometer had been replaced around 14,000 miles. Since then, the switch to another window, as well as the regulators to two windows, have died. An outside door handle broke off. The transmission went out in 2006 (a bearing "disintegrated," according to the technician) and is going out again now (2010). The computer is dying and the throttle position sensor. There is a short in the dash that makes the interior lights come on and off randomly, and sometimes a little puff of smoke comes out of the steering column. The seating is uncomfortable and the cup holders are in front of the stereo.

The AC has always been great. Plenty of leg room for a small car. Sufficient power on steep hills. Still going even with all the problems.

Transmission! Center rather than dash cup holders. Different window regulator design that doesn't involve wrapping wire around brittle plastic to control window movement.

185,000 miles and still going strong!
By Blondie

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used in 2002 and have not had any problems with it whatsoever except the front middle console lid breaking off since I bought it. I have 185,000 miles on my car and have never had anything go wrong with it (knock on wood). I would highly recommend this car to any commuter. Best car I've ever owned. If Hyundai made an AWD car instead of the larger SUVs I'd go out and buy one in a heartbeat!

Absolutely fun to drive. Very responsive handling. Stock stereo and speakers are actually very good.

Hyundai needs to make an AWD car like Subaru does. My Elantra does not handle that well on icy roads. My only complaint...