Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra GT model:

Amazed!
By tammielb

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I recently purchased the Hyundai Elantra GT...and I love it. I was driving a
Lexus RX 350 which had been a wonderful car. But it was 8 years old and time for a replacement. I'm a single mom and a teacher so another Lexus was not in my price range. I researched tons of vehicles trying to find the most for my money and hoping I wouldn't be missing the Lexus. The Elantra was it!
The ride, the comfort, the bells and whistles...all of it. I don't miss my Lexus at all. I got it fully loaded and it was totally in my price range. In fact, dare I say it's more fun to drive. A little smaller and zippier around the neighborhood. My 10 and 13 year old boys even like my new car better.

The interior looks like a luxury vehicle. I drove other cars in the same cats gory and was not nearly as impressed. The ride is very smooth. It handles bumps and road issues very well.

I would love for all the windows to be auto up. Also would like to see curb sensors. But those are minor details that I can live without.

It's been a car...
By bkohs

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

So after almost 3 years of leasing this car, I'm glad it will be gone soon. Over all there is nothing wrong with it, but there is nothing great either. My biggest complaints are the lack of power, gearing, and the sensitivity of the ABS system. For the engine, it's about 30 to 40 HP less than it should be. There is a serious lack of power while going up hill or trying to pass on the highway. When paired with the manual transmission, the power is only usable in 2nd through 4th gear. 1st gear will get you going from a stop on a hill, but I find myself starting in 2nd more often than not due to how short 1st gear is. you can get it up to about 25mph if you get close to red line on the tach, but that's about it. 5th gear is only for cruising (not enough power to accelerate). 6th gear is basically useless. If you are doing over 65mph it's OK, but again, no power for passing so you'll have to shift down to 4th to overtake. I can live with all of that, however the big issue I have is with the ABS system. if you are on the brakes (not even hard) and go over any bumps the ABS will kick in. Most cars will do this, however, the ABS continues to stay active for a while after you've cleared the bumps. this gives the feeling of not being able to stop because the brakes are pulsing. I've had it happen to me many times and at all speed ranges I normally drive in. I've even slightly overshot a stop sign because of it. I've mentioned it to 2 different dealerships on multiple occasions and have been in the car with the tech while it happened, but they have all come back and said there is no problem with it. This is the main reason I will be happy to be rid of this car in a month. now that that's out of the way, there are a few highlights to this car. there is lots of storage space when the rear seats are down. I've been able to fit 3 bikes in the back. With the seats up, storage space is slightly limited, but there is a good amount of room for the rear passengers. I've gone on a couple of week long road trips with my wife and 2 kids and we all comfortably fit with our luggage inside. My car has the basic entertainment setup, but it still sounds great! I can hook up the iPod or connect the phone and play media through BT. The mic for the BT system works well and I've had a few people tell me they didn't even know I was driving while I was talking to them. The front seats are very comfortable and the fact that they are heated is a nice touch in the winter. The rear seats are a little stiff and upright, but that wasn't an issue for us as our kids are still in baby seats. Over all this car is OK. As long as you don't expect it to be something it's not. It's not sporty. It's not even slightly fast. It's not amazing with fuel consumption. It will, however, get you where you need to go. It's hasn't been expensive to maintain. It looks pretty good. And they are now going for a decent price. I've seen them for less than $12,000 with under 50,000 miles. My suggestion is if you MUST have this car, go for the 2014 or newer. The engine is better and they fixed the gearing issues in both the auto and standard. I'm not sure about the ABS, but I cant imagine they didn't do something to improve that as well.

17" Tires Extremely Prone to Damage
By jjbaltimore

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Elantra GT 2013 this past October.
I loved the panoramic sunroof and got the style package.
This included 17" low profile wheels and tires which look great, but BEWARE.
Within 3 weeks this winter, average road conditions (meaning lots of potholes) resulted in 3 tires developing 3 sidewall bubbles.
This included a tire that had just been replaced.
There is an entire forum on this problem with this car and these tires.
Read it.

Still love the sunroof and the adjustability of the seats, heated seats, arm rest extension. (I am 5'3")

The above tire issues resulted in $1500 in car rentals, tire replacements, and ultimately, the only real fix, buying 16" wheels and tires (not OE) and replacing the low profile nightmares. Hyundai will do nothing. Nexen tires will do nothing. If you live anywhere in a 4 season area, these tires can't handle anything but perfect road conditions. BTW this is true of most low profile tires on any car, which are becoming very popular with manufacturers for some unknown reason in recent years.

Great Small Family Car
By rem836

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I shopped and shopped and finally decided on the Elantra GT.
Main factors in my decision were price and cargo space.
I was a bit worried about fitting two car seats in the back seat, but both fit comfortably and the middle cup holder can still flip down...not that I'm going to show that feature to my kids!
The car handled well in the winter ice and snow.

We do have some trouble fitting everything into the car when traveling with 4 people. Thinking a roof top bag will help solve this problem. Since I didn't get roof rails, I am slightly worried about damage to the door areas where the straps will press, but we'll see.

Still love the car after 2.5 years.

dissapointing gas mileage
By tracey17

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This car is reasonably zippy for a small car, although not quite as good as my first impression during the test drives. The fuel economy was a big factor in choosing this car and, in this, I am very dissapointed.
I drove a manual 2001 Honda Civic EX for a few years prior and I LOVED that car...plenty of zip and mpg ranged from 32-34.
I drove a couple different years of Ford Escape as a company car as well and it was a solid 24mpg. It is a tough MN winter and I am seeing 17-21mpg in this ElantraGT.
In the couple months before the snow hit I was still lucky to get 26mpg overall and 32mpg on the highway, even in Eco-mode and being very conscientious about driving conservatively for a week.

Interior quality, exterior styling, reasonable power, features all nice. It handles as expected in the snow/ice for a lightweight, low profile car...but I'm making it through the MN snow just fine. I can fit a ton of stuff in the little hatch area and the "organization" tray that is under the floor is great for my "just in case" stuff that I like to tote around. I also like that it has the little cover for the hatch area so I don't feel so "naked" (place to put my purse, etc. out of tempation's sight). I also tote around a tennis bag and a volleyball bag on a regular occassion. I'm generally pleased with everything except the gas mileage.

I like nearly everything about the car except for the extremely dissapointing gas mileage. Also, I ended up with a navigation system that I didn't want because I was on a timeline and that was all they could locate in a search of the bordering states so I went with it. 50% of the time the GPS cannot find a long-existing restaurant or POI in a category so I have to look it up on my phone anyway. I'm going to have the dealership update the gps to see if that helps but it seems that, by this stage of the technology, vehichle nav systems could be more up to date without all the hassle.