Used 2009 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Hyundai Accent

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Little Beast
By sssss

2009 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car a week ago, and so far it's been great, except for the fact that the car shakes while braking around 45 mph, and the tires lost pressure after a week so the low tire pressure light came on(but hey, at least there IS a warning light). i am taking it to the dealer this week to resolve those issues. Other than that, i love it. its so fun to drive, and i like the way the gears click into place and how easy the clutch is. i do wish it had cruise control and power locks, but it's the base model and was cheap. I was very impressed when i test drove it, the ride is great for such a cheap car. also the mp3 jack is awesome

armrest, mp3 jack, sunglasses holder, simple interior layout, etc.

make ABS standard. i actually had no idea it didn't have ABS until today, when the brakes locked as a skidded to a stop, also the interior plastic is cheap and it already scratched, and the factory tires seem cheap too. I would add a sixth gear, because the RPM at 60 mph is 3000 and that's high

Car is more than the sum of its parts
By Ben

2009 Hyundai Accent GS Base 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased under the C4C program. After $1500 rebate and $4500 C4C, we paid $7200 out the door, taxes and fees all included!!! Less than half the price of the base model Honda Fit and Ford Focus we test drove. The Honda felt cheap and sluggish and the Ford felt completely disconnected and even cheaper. With the manual it's quite peppy. We C4Ced a BMW for this car and we couldn't be happier. The handling is excellent. Driver feedback is just right. Driving position is perfect. Layout is nice. Interior fit and finish is fine. Paint is thin. After 10,000 miles we both still enjoy driving it and agree it's one of the best cars we've owned. Time will tell in wear and tear.

Drivers position. I'm 5'10 and she is 4'11. We both can drive comfortably. On the test drive the feedback and handling blew me away. The only other car I owned that felt this good in my hands was a BMW E30. I know this is a cheap econo box, but it has the soul of something more. It's a driver!

All the new model cars I have driven have A-pillars that create huge blind spots hiding pedestrians at intersections. This car is no exception. I don't like constantly leaning forward and side to side to look around the pillar. Make the rear deck lid open and close with the hatch for convenience.

Great Car for Value Oriented Drivers
By NFerre

2009 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

My wife needed a new car because her '95 Accord was on its last legs. We knew the day was coming, so we has already been researching vehicles, and the combination of price features, and warranty put the Accent at the top of the list. We ended up purchasing her a Hyundai Certified car with 4500 miles and an automatic. The car is very well built, and handles well for a lightweight economy car. The engine, wgile no speed demon, etc the job done, even at 80 MPH plus highway cruising. Don't let the lack of ABS scare you if you are looking at the Accent, the car stops just fine. Build quality is far better than one expects at this price point. We bought a second one to replace my 1994 BMW 325is.

Warranty, styling, price. I drive 30000 miles annually (mostly highway) and my car has 2700 miles on it now. My last tank I got 32.33 MPG. As the motor loosens up I expect this to improve, as it has so far. We are using Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W20 oil.

The front seats in the 3 door do not return to their original position after moving them to gain access to the back seat. The carpeting is really cheap: it is like felt covered cardboard. Severe service (stop and go driving) requires timing belt replacements at 37,500 mile intervals,

Do yourself a favour...
By CWR

2009 Hyundai Accent GLS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Do yourself a favor and upgrade to the ABS on the GLS model, especially if you drive in snow or a lot of wet conditions. Considering the price point of these vehicles, it is well worth the investment for the safety of ABS brakes. I was used to the system in a '04 Civic (much better braking system to be sure), and almost paid the ultimate price when I spun out a few times this winter in the Accent GLS w/out ABS. Hyundai should really make ABS standard on all models. Apart from this legitimate beef, it's a great little car for the money, far more room inside than Civic. Nice fittings inside, lots of leg room up front, highly capable engine for size of car. Excellent gas mileage all around.

Gas mileage, fit is simple and clean inside, more leg room than you expect up front, stereo is good, nimble and easy to park around town. Not that expensive to fix, and a great warranty in case you do have to fix it.

Gotta make the ABS standard on all models. Can't believe they would cheap out on this feature these days (it's 2010). I know the car is inexpensive and they have to make their money somewhere, but c'mon.

Accidentally Got The Best
By Happy Hyundai Owner

2009 Hyundai Accent GS Base 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Base 09 Accent Coupe because it was half the cost of my 1st choice, the Honda Fit. However, the longer I drive the Accent, the more I feel it's the best choice I could've made. I've even come to love the apple green color. It has an amazing amount of room inside - I went from a GMC Jimmy and have had little trouble adapting, space-wise. The exterior design is simple, clean and well- proportioned; I think it's one of the best-looking cars on the road. It handles and drives like a sports car, feels like an extension of my body: I think, it responds. Very solid, well- made car, reminds me of an MGB-GT I once had (without the constant repairs!).

Extremely roomy - my skis & 1-piece kayak paddle easily fit inside. With the 5-speed manual tranny, superb handling and responsive steering, it's like driving a sports car. Zoom zoom, zip zip zip! Great mileage, a huge plus after my GMC Jimmy. Handles GREAT in the snow, even w/o snow tires!

Manual tranny s/b geared higher; highway RPMs are 3500-4000, s/b 2000- 2500. Needs more ground clearance, esp. in front. Factory roof rack would be a nice option - Thule rack needs short-roof adaptor, reduces highway mileage from 36 to 31. Sun visors are hard to pull out w/gloves on.