Used 2004 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Hyundai Accent

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Trouble child
By kenosmom

2004 Hyundai Accent GT 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Accent GT new and regretted that purchase! Transmission troubles plagued it (my neighbor also has an '04 Accent and had to have tranny replaced at 30,000 miles). Blew out valves upon traveling over Blue Ridge mountains. Traded it in after owning for a troublesome 8 months for a Jeep. Never looked back! My first and last Hyundai!

Fairly comfortable seating position for driver.

Better quality powertrain and improve reliability. Also would benefit from more room in rear seat area (look at VW Rabbit!)

Hyundai has proven itself reliable
By JordanG

2004 Hyundai Accent 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My car's coming up on 100,000 miles and nothing at all has acted older than brand new. With the 5 speed manual transmission, it feels quicker than most other cars in its class, probably because it weighs in at only slightly over a ton. I've driven a lot of cars with manual transmission, including a Honda Civic with 30,000 miles, and I can safely say this car has the smoothest and easiest shifter I've ever used, even at 100,000 miles. The fuel economy is right around that Civic/Corolla 30 mpg range. Overall, it's a very basic, no frills, reliable car, and it's hardly left a dent in my pocket at all.

Manual transmission, reliability

Road noise is high.

So-so Car
By Mef

2004 Hyundai Accent GL 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

For a small economy car it is reasonably fun to drive. It also comes with some unexpected features such as power heated mirrors, and lumbar support. On the downside there is lots though. Lacks acceleration, too much engine noise, idles high and burns more gas than it should (a tradeoff for power). Has had two axle boots, and the rear struts replaced under warranty due to leaks/tears. AC quit, stereo quit. Both also fixed in warranty. Stereo still randomly cuts out and the AC sometimes makes a grinding noise when turned on.

Power package - mirrors, windows, door locks. Peppy, and looks okay.

Reliability issues, cheap plastic interior, no ABS. Improve engine and fuel mileage.

Great Little Starter Car
By Liz

2004 Hyundai Accent GL 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as my first new car and have loved it ever since. Gas mileage is great either highway or city (I drive stick). Have had no major repairs but am up to 200K Km now and it is in need of a windshield washer motor, new windshield, and possibly clutch problems. Still drives smoothly. A little noisy but it is a small car so to be expected. Sound system is awesome! I've replaced the breaks once and do annual tire changes for winter/summer. Perfect car for single or young couple, doesn't fit our growing family anymore, no room to put down 60/40 seats with a carseat. Can't put carseat in middle because there is a bump. Need four doors. Headlights are not bright enough.

Gas mileage, comfort on long distance drives, sound system.

No bump in middle of back seat, cupholders in backseat, better warranty coverage!

Great economy car
By Stew

2004 Hyundai Accent 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 04 Accent because I needed a very fuel efficient car. I bought it with 55K miles on it and have had very little problems with it, I replaced the timing belt myself at 60K miles per the maintenance schedule, the upstream O2 sensor went bad so I replaced that myself, and have been doing regular oil/filter changes. The airbag light did go on, took it to the dealer for a diagnostic but haven't had it repaired yet. It's a 5-speed and I average between 42 and 43 MPG with 75% freeway driving. I bought this car because I needed a fuel efficient commuter car to rack up a bunch of miles and it's fit the bill very well.

Excellent fuel economy. Good ride for a sub compact.

Headlamp road illumination could be better. Temp gauge doesn't accurately reflect engine temp. OBDII scan tool shows engine temp varies between 182 and 204 deg with no temp gauge needle movement. RPM are too high in 5th gear, let's at least get them down to 2500 at 60mph.