Used 2002 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews - 122 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Accent

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

Excellent Value!
By aair13

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

As a Honda guy i wasnt very fond of getting a Hyundai. Bought in 2011 with 163000 and boy am i glad i did. Gets me 39mpg all highway. I drive it about 50 miles daily. I have the 4 door with the 1.6L auto. Mine does have a small noise in muffler but mechanic told me this was common on that year. Plus i dont mind cause it sounds cool, lol! Great car! Parts are easy to find and cheap. I recommend it!

Great fuel economy. Easy to work on

Door handles

As Good as an Aerostar
By mikehs2

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best car I've ever owned. 133,000 miles, 40 mpg, yes 40! on the highway. I checked it 3 times! No oil burn. Only service issue was the rear brake cylinders which Hyundai happily replaced. Have to service the car every 7,500 miles and due the proper maintenance. Make sure you change the timing belt at 90,000, and if you have an auto transmission, it has to be serviced every 30,000. Don't be shy to buy one used, if it's the 5 speed manual. I'm sure ours will go at least 250,000.

Just a well built, economical car interior is still perfect with no seat covers!

Beef up the Auto transmissions.

Aging through the ages...
By squirts

2002 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

All, I bought my '02 Accent new. Since then, I've racked up 115,000 on the odo with 80% highway driving of 75 miles/day Monday-Friday. To date, I really can't complain. Beyond normal wear items, I've replaced both back wheel cylinders ($15 ea) and the (dreaded) flex pipe and pipe extension ($45) due to rust-through. The car still gets great gas mileage and doesn't burn oil. I'll need to work on the front end (I think some bushings are worn as there is a "clunk" over pot holes), but, knock wood, it's holding up well.

Great gas mileage; Cold air and hot heat; Ease of maintenance. I do all of my own maintenance, including engine repair, so parts availability and being able to do the job myself is a must. I bought a "simple" car (no power windows, auto trans, etc.) for a reason and to date it has met my expectations.

You get what you pay for. Considering I paid less than 10K for a new car with air & stereo and have gotten 115K miles out of it I am happy.

THIS LITTLE CAR IS AMAZING
By sanzabartrust

2002 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Let me say it seems like i've been a car a year Im 22 and this is my 5th car (the others were $1000 buckets. I'm in college so reliability was key in my decision. Saw this car at a wholesale dealer for $1800 and jumped at it after I test drove it with only 115,000 miles. I've just got scheduled maintenance on the car and it has been very good to me. The only major (haha) repair has been a corroded flex pipe which make my little car sound like a monster truck (luckily it's a $30 part and got it installed/welded for $60) The inside is clean and standard which I was going for. Upgraded all the speakers they burst when I put a new radio in. All and all good car for me as a college student.

Low cost to own, easy to clean interior, hyundai customer service just a solid car all around

The dual cup holders by the radio cant hold bigger then a can pop so large drinks have to go in the one cup holder in the middle of the driver and passanger,road noise is louder then most but i expected that with 13 inch wheels and it being a subcompact

Great Hyundai!
By hyundai2002

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I honestly don't understand all these reviews. I guess their previous owners didn't take care of their little Hyundai because my car runs great and is in great shape. The transmission and engine runs great. I don't understand the comments on the handling. The brakes could be better, but they have no problem. People need to realize that Hyundai was still not a very large company when the 2000-2004 Accents came out. And the Accent was Hyundai's least expensive car. The interior scratches easily and the paint gets dings and scratches easily as well. But this was meant to be a realible INEXPENSIVE car for people that want a decent car and have money to put gas in it too. =]

Gas mileage, handling, inexpensive tires, size, price, reliability, easy to do regular maintenance but any major problems might be diificult.

Interior quality, more screws so that it would be easier to take off interior pieces like doors and speaker covers in the rear. (I broke the speaker cover when I tried to put in Pioneer speakers :O )