Used 2004 Honda S2000 Consumer Reviews - 202 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda S2000 Consumer Reviews

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (202 reviews )

Awesomeness!!
By Steve O

2004 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

First of all, I'm 60 years old. I bought this car as a retirement gift to myself, and I'm glad I did! There's so much to love about this car. The acceleration and handling are absolutely superb! It's a little light on the technology spectrum, but who cares? I didn't buy it for that, I bought it to have fun driving...and boy, does it hit the mark! When people ask me how it is to drive, I tell them it's like driving a street legal go-kart on steroids. I wish it had a little better sound system to account for the road noise, but it's a small price to pay for the exhilaration of pure driving fun.

Amazing fun true sports car
By Bendbeyond

2004 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

What can I say about this car? It's an amazing sports car and amazing daily driver. The purpose-built simplicity, the ground up focus on driving performance, the efficiency/gas mileage (amazing for a true sports car), the proven Honda reliability, the timeless aggressive roadster look, the ease of upgrading if it's not enough (unmodified engine can handle 800hp!), the awesome resale value (why would you ever sell this!), the exhilerating feel and sound of Vtec, the unmatched HP per liter, the sinful exhilerating fun of the open top combined with everything else... All this makes the Honda S2000 one of the best sports cars every produced if not the best, even compared to exotics. Plus it's affordable. It's better in most all aspects than all it's immediate competition at a more affordable price and 10x the reliability too. This is a true drivers car.

best car ever
By alex r

2004 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

I have own my 2005 GPW for 7 years and this car has been so faithful as a daily driver and track car. The only issued i ever had was the clutch other then that this car is bullet proof. Runs handles like a dream and would recommend this car to any one.

4th S2000 I've owned. So far the best!
By revs2k

2004 Honda S2000 2dr Roadster (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

The title is correct. I've owned 4 of these amazing roadsters. 2007, 2002, 2003 and now a 2004. The 2007 had the VSA and the throttle-by-wire feature where there is no physical throttle cable to the manifold. The larger 2.2 engine in the later models makes commuting easier and less noisy. The earlier ones rev higher, are louder and (in my opinion) faster. The 2004 is my favorite so far. Not as encumbered with electrical nannies. The immediacy of the throttle mirrors the earlier model and the styling changes are very much to my liking. Overall this is a great car for any enthusiast. I've owned many cars and this is the most visceral car I've owned. My advice is get one while you still can! I just bought a 2013 Subaru BRZ for cold weather commuting and the S2000 is far superior in most areas. Fit and finish, the S2000's materials seem to be of higher quality. The cars are similar in size and weight and yet the S2000 seems 'sturdier' and the S2000 is still considerably faster. The BRZ is great and the steering feel is better but it does not have the 'single purpose' responses that the S2000 has. If my better half suggested I 'thin the herd' no doubt my NFR S2000 (19,000 miles) would be the survivor of the purge.

Tough Decision -
By s2point2k

I love this car.
I love the way it handles, I love the way it accelerates, and I love the way it feels zooming down the highway at 80 mph with the wind rushing by.
I bought a used 2004 with 39,800 miles on it and in amazingly good condition for about $18,000 hoping to have both a fun car to drive and an investment that would maintain or lose very little value over time.
I nailed it.
I show the car a few times a year and still find myself clearing my calendar when the weather is going to be good so I can take it for a nice long drive.

Tough decision?
Drive it or store it?
Driving is a blast, but storing it will only increase the value (or bleeds out the value more slowly).

Wow . . . I can't say anything comes to mind. If you want something different, then buy a different car.