Used 2001 Honda Prelude Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Prelude

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

Fantastic Sports Coupe
By iceman721

2001 Honda Prelude SH 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive. I have an HKS exhaust put on by the previous owner and an AEM Cold Air Intake. It produces a boomy, racy tone under full throttle but is reasonably quiet under moderate acceleration. Power is good in the upper RPM range. VTEC engages at around 5100 RPM and you'll know it when it does. Car is comfortable and you won't be seen every time you turn your head.

A decade into its life span the car still looks fresh. Handling is OUTSTANDING! Gas mileage on premium is 20 City & 25 Hwy. I've seen as high as 26-27 driving conservatively on the highway. 5 speed is crisp and fun to drive.

ATTS (Automatic Torque Transfer System) in the SH is a blast. This car is great in curves. I have taken on ramps at twice the posted speed limit and all this car does is grip the road. Never any torque steer or tire squealing going through the curves. I've owned heavier more powerful cars (Lexus GS430) and I will take this over them. Great reliability. Have it maintained by the dealer or a Honda specialist. Mine is all original with the exception of the CAI and the muffler.

I would love to see Honda bring back the Prelude. Add modern options that are in the parts bin. Bring back ATTS make a 4cylinder and a 6 cylinder version. Manual transmissions, lightweight, great power trains, side airbags, modern electronics, etc. Just dig in the crates and bring out all of the best stuff Honda has to offer from the last decade and update the car. The Prelude is not a soulless car like many Asian automotive appliances. It's a throwback to the days of the Preludes, Supra's & NSX when there were Asian coupes that were a blast to drive and reliable. Bring that back and until then I will drive my Lude!

2001 Prelude Type SH
By OEMwheels

2001 Honda Prelude SH 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I remember first seeing this car indoors at a Honda dealer when it first came out in 1997 and my goal was to one day own one(I was around 12 years old). I was in love with it. Prior to that, I really liked the 94-95 Honda Accord 2 door. I owned the accord for around 5 years. I have had the prelude since October 2008. I love the car. It's a bit slow for 200 hp and 22 mpg, but it's fair enough. If I were to buy one again, I'd go with the base over SH. Base is lighter. This is a unique, classy car not like most of the other cars out there. The main concern I'd have with buying one is how well it was taken care of. A lot of these owners have driven 'em hard. Car maintenance is everything.

Exterior looks. Interior cluster. I love the sound and smoothness of the engine. I love the way the car(especially the Type SH) comes stock. Love the spoiler the P R E L U D E lettering. I love that it's a rare car and I've had a thing for it since it first came out.

MPG. For being a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder this thing gets terrible gas mileage. Granted, it was 1997, so you can't really compare it to a G35. A little more HP and a couple hundred pounds lighter would have been nice. If you like the car and want the car, then get it.

prelude power
By CRIS

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my prelude brand new in 2001, the last model made SE.. this car is amazing, affordable, fast and great handling. Its not very roomy but whatever, its a great ride and stops on a dime. I'm over 200,000 km and it still drives like new. I have always babied it and never had a problem. My biggest expense was timing belt and water pump for a 1000 bucks, my crank pully was damaged. I did wait way to long to change my timing belt, I changed it at 195,000 so lucky it didn't brake, it had cracks all over it. A little tip, if you own a prelude and have a problem, only take it to honda, its to hard of a car to work on and anyone else will screw it up.

handling, take off and stopping..

winter tires, good ones, michelin or bridgestone and its like a TANK in the snow..

Great Car!
By CA Prelude

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car and value, a blast to drive! Original stock tires weren't great. Stock stereo is good and puts out decent volume, but the bass is more "mid bass," not low bass. Just over 100K miles and no problems. By some miracle, no tickets, either! Don't ask me how I know this, but there is a fuel cutoff at 7,800 rpm. Would be nice to have a rev limiter, instead. Like other comments, a 6th cruising gear, RWD, 200 lbs. lighter, and 40 more hp would also be on my wish list. My car should last another 10 years at least...maybe by then, a new Prelude will be in showrooms.

Engine, engine sound, 5sp manual tranny and clutch are nice and smooth, sporty handling (for a FWD car).

No V6, though, please. It would just make it more nose heavy. We also have a 2004 V6 Accord Sedan (5sp auto)...the V6 is nice and smooth, though (240hp, 210 lb. ft. torque), but it's a bigger car, weighs more, and is only maybe a tenth or two faster to 60 and in the 1/4 mile...

My blue Honda Prelude
By kevinfly777

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Parents bought me this to go to UCSD. Great car, fantastic handling (through the corners). Although I was disappointed about the interior, but it's not too bad for a Japanese sports car. Very reliable, passed smog and everything... a very fast car and sometimes with the blue color it attracts a lot of attention. I love this car.

200bhp, great handling, easy to maintain engine and parts

I would love it even more if Honda could make the body lighter (3000lbs) and make the engine even more responsive, I've always wanted the rpm indicator to change fast.