Used 1998 Honda Prelude Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Prelude

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

Amazing car
By Kat

1998 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

A truly amazing car to drive. Superb handling, great gas mileage (I get about 27 city!), incredibly reliable, gorgeous exterior. I have added several modest aftermarket performance parts and absolutely love the ride! Certainly a keeper!

Vtec, H22, exterior styling, great gas mileage.

Easier tunable ECU. That's about it for me!

By Ivan Garcia

1998 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

Well, what can I say about the Honda Prelude, I own one myself. A 1998 Honda prelude automatic which is much fun to drive in the city of Salem. It's real sporty car and has a decent 4cyl v6 motor making 195 hp.

I like the fact that it has a nice interior with a nice sound system stock. I love the way it sounds when the V-tech kicks in.

Great car!
By Plugger

1998 Honda Prelude Type SH 2dr Coupe

I own a 98 SH. This car is fabulous. Its fun, extremely low maintenance, quick, easy to drive and has curb appeal. The paint and finish are remarkable. Mechanically - its bullet proof. Check the oil with each tank of fuel though.... it's a vtec thing.

Dependability and its a simple pleasure to drive.

Start making them again. I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.

Prelude Love
By Morgan

1998 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I bought my Prelude used at about 58K miles. Took her in recently for 105K service and still going strong. While the ride can be stiff, you get excellent road feel. The rougher ride dosent seem to matter on long trips. After driving a rental recently I really missed my precise handling and road hugging Prelude. Great long-term reliability. Fun to commute to work in or tool about town in on a lazy weekend.

This car has unique styling. Rides well even over long drives. Extremely fun to drive, hugs corners tight. Great brakes.

Less cabin noise, functional back seat for passengers or just call it what it is - a 2-seat coupe. Great road feel can mean a bouncy ride.

By rusty_toes

1998 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

Purchased the car just under a month ago, and am still impressed by the overall quality of this 'Lude. The 5th gen is by far better looking than the 4th gen. Most the editor reviews will tell you the interior and exterior are lacking on the 5th gen. I could not disagree more! If nothing else, choose the 5th gen over the 4th because the 5th comes stock with vtec. I am not impressed by gimmicky features, and this car has none of those. It is a sports car. If you want something with plenty of room, get a 4 door accord. the Prelude I own has just over 110,000 miles on it, as far as I know it has not had any major mechanical work done.

vtec. Front seats. Overall performance and handling - above 4000 rpm the H22 screams, the car sticks to the road like glue. Overall exterior styling - the 5th gen went back to the 3rd gen design after slumping sales in the 4th gen - way to go Honda!

Rear leg room. Lumbar support. More low end torque - the slowest part of acceleration is from 0-15 mph. More cargo space. Higher 5th gear - the engine does 3000 rpm @ 60 mph - kinda high for fuel economy. Lower 1st - 3rd gears - @ 7000 rpm in 3rd you're already doing 90 mph.