Used 2012 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Best SUV I have owned.
By bluewaters94

2012 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I ended up with my 2012 pilot after a long search for a decently priced SUV that would accommodate 3 car seats across the middle seat because I have triplets and did not want a minivan.
I have owned 3 other SUV's and the Pilot, being the 4th, is by far the nicest and most reliable.
I have about 27,000 miles on mine and, to date, have not experienced any of the vibration problems others have written about.
You get a lot for the money with this car and even better is that it really holds its value. I definitely plan on driving this one into the ground!

I have the touring edition and it has everything I've ever wanted, as far as bells and whistles, on a vehicle. The navigation is reliable, everything is power this and power that, I love that I can play my music from my iPhone through the Bluetooth. The middle seat moves and can be reclined. It has a ton of room in the 3rd row. They are regular seats and you're not crammed back there. There is still a good amount of room behind the third row. The sound system is decent. It has a hard disc drive, so you have the option of recording your CD's into the system, which is nice. The seats are comfortable. Overall it's a really sharp car.

I'm not the biggest fan of the grille. I actually prefer the grille on the 2011 model. Also, I think it would make the car look more sharp if it came standard with running boards and a luggage rack. The Pilot is a nice car and the touring edition offers more, for less money, than the mid-line Acura MDX. If Honda tweaked the exterior a bit, I think more people would be drawn to it. Also, it's absolutely impossible to cut anyone off in this vehicle. Not that I'm condoning that behavior, but if you're in traffic and need to get over, better turn off your a/c and push the gas to the floor or you're going to get clipped because the acceleration is terrible.

One of the Best SUV's out there!
By ldecastro1

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Before we purchased our 2012 Honda Pilot, we test drove all of the top similar-sized SUVs. For appearance, comfort, space, 4x4 capability, and handling we decided to go with the Pilot.
First, let me tell you that the Pilot is one of the most comfortable cars that I have ever driven. The heated leather seats rival even my sofa in comfort. The back seats also recline and the third row offer regular-sized seats.
The car handles very well in all kinds of weather (we live in Vermont) and tackles our summer pot holes and severe winter storms with ease.
We have 20,000 miles on our Pilot and this car has been 100% reliable.
The fuel economy is great for a car this heavy and big.

Honda reliability, large safe car with commanding view, very comfortable heated leather seats, tons of space for my kids and all of our vacation gear, excellent fuel economy for a big heavy SUV.

I read all of the negative comments about the ECO system. Our Pilot does seem to get caught between shifts, which is a bit strange, but you get used to it and barely notice it after awhile. This is by no means a deal breaker for us because this car does so many other things so well and even my $48,000 Volvo wasn't perfect.

2012 Pilot Touring 4x4
By ndjacks

This is my second Pilot, I loved our 2005 model. But this review is for our 2012. As you research the 2012, many Pilot owners will complain about a vibration at various speeds, it is very annoying and I hate it. The dealer says the same thing to everyone that complains, it is normal, it is the variable cylinder management system. Maybe normal for Honda, but not something you should feel EVERYTIME you drive it, it should be seamless. I told a service writer to enter it on the service ticket, he did it by hand, guess Honda doesn't want proper documentation or a paper trail. Otherwise it's a great vehicle if you need to haul 8 people around.

Very comfortable. Nice features

Fix the variable cylinder management system vibration problem!

Hurray Pilot
By runeye

2012 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Pilot is a decent SUV. The acceleration is pretty good for an SUV though you really have to rev it if you want the full power of the startup torque.
Highway driving is fun with this vehicle as the gear changes are smooth. Spacious interior with quality leather and the foldable backseat help since I carry heavy equipment with the work I do. I don't really use the entertainment much unless I have friedns with me. The Nav system works well and
efficiently. My only issue with the vehicle was for a while, the Hold button on my key wasn't opening the trunk and I had to do it manually. Then a week later, it would work, and then stop working. But now it seems that problem is gone.

Junk
By kadamec

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Bad...This is easily the worst car I've ever owned. The active fuel management does not work properly. After many trips to the Honda dealer, they say that the car is OK and nothing is wrong. At 60 - 70 MPH the car vibrates and sounds like its gasping for air. An audible sound from the engine compartment is easily heard when the engine transitions from 6 cylinders to 4. Dump the tires too. They are so rock hard for milage purposes that after 25,000 the ride is rough.

The good...Honda does do a nice job with the use of the interior. Tons of space

Dump the active fuel management. I decided to trade in the car for a new car and the day after I made the deal, I received a class action lawsuit notice from California regarding Honda's with the same problems. For Two years, Honda told me that there were NO problems.