Used 2011 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Hands down best large SUV for the money!
By jrburnett23

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my fiances car but I drive it way more than she does and it by the far the best car I've driven.
For as large as the car is, it gets great gas mileage.
We have moved twice since getting this car a year ago and with both back row seats folded down you can fit an enormous amount of stuff in your car.
Even a pretty big dresser!
It rides very smooth and is extremely comfortable to ride in.
The rear-entertainment system is a great feature to have especially if you have kids riding with you from time to time.
The only thing that I would change about this car is I would turn the back seat into two captains chairs and put a big console in between them.
Best car ever!

3rd row seating, Rear-entertainment system, great speaker quality, great fuel economy for the size of the car.

Take out 2nd row seating and add two captains chairs with large console between them. (I think that would add to the comfort, especially on long trips) However, you do lose one passenger seat

2011 Pilot Touring Engine Noise
By dgsheridan

2011 Honda Pilot Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I do not recommend this vehicle.
Engine has a rattling sound during acceleration, much like a chain dragging the ground.
Dealer initially changed out a part in the exhaust system which didn't fix the problem.
Dealer now says it's a characteristic of all Pilots and is normal.
After 8,800 miles, the noise is getting louder.

Nice stereo system.

Fix the problem causing the engine noise. Very rough ride, more so than my pickup truck or Jeep Wrangler. Also, the NAVI should have lifetime map updates for the price charged for this system.

Honda Heaven ???
By vstanley

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Being a previous Honda consumer I knew the resell value that Honda brings considering all the problems that Toyota was facing we chose the Honda.. I love the boxy body style, the interior design is not too bad once you get used to the layout. I DO NOT like the quality of the interior. Cheap... Styrofoam in the door jam??? What is that about?? Noise?? The leg room is great for tall people. Front and second row. The gas mileage is average for an SUV of similiar size, no surprises there. It was in B&W. Some complained about road noise. Yes, you do hear it. I was told the tires are to blame. Smooth ride though. Seats are firm, not as plush as some I test drove.

Favorite features would be the leg room as well as the boxy exterior. Durable feeling leather seating. Seating capacity is a plus.

The center console is scratched from the cell phone, garage door opener, etc. The steering wheel which is painted to look like brushed nickel is scratched from my ring hitting it, and the sunglass holder is too small for todays styles. The keyhole is another fault. If not careful inserting key into area the size of a dime, you will ruin the housing around it with the key. The interior headliner does not fit snug around the sunroof. You can see all of the mechanics. I would have liked to see this model in the pearl white. The back storage area is slanted due to the 3rd row. Things do shift toward the backdoor. A cargo net should have come standard due to this.

Excellent Family Vehicle
By yojoe

2011 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Pilot for 7 months and 6600 miles. It just got the first oil change. The car performs very well on the Interstate. The MPG's are about 14.5 city and on the interstate I have experiences tanks averaging 18 up to 25.5 ( all with AC on). I have been only using Premium gas.
I do not understand the large MPG variation on the interstate. It could be gas quality.

The VCM engine has performed just fine without any complaint. I do notice when the engine is in 3 cylinder mode.

The overall size of the car provides a very spacious interior. My wife loves the rear AC controls. The road handling and ride is very smooth and stable feeling on the interstate.

They could have taken a few more minutes to assemble the interior. The fabric on the doors is sloppy looking around the door handles. Some of the joints could match up better.

Navigation is worthless without traffic.
By shof

2011 Honda Pilot Touring 4dr SUV w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Spending extra to get a car with all the bells and whisles it was very disapointing to find out the navigation system is unable to give traffic avoidence. Even with the XM radio traffic subscription. If they do not provide a way to fix. It will be my last honda. And to think I could have bought the base model, and a Tom Tom or Nuvi, like I have in my other car that does it all for $200. And saved 5 to 10 grand.

Better tow rating. Black guages. Middle row seats the recline more. Move the shifter.