Used 2011 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

2011 Honda Pilot EX AWD
By ron84

2011 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Pilot EX for two years (bought it new) and have approximately 50,000 miles on it. Absolutely no problems and it has performed as expected.
It has plenty of power and is very comfortable.
It handles very well and is easy to drive.
It does very well in snow (better than my old Subaru).
It is a perfect family vacation vehicle. It seats 8 and has plenty of leg room in both the second and third rows.
All seats are comfortable but it seems to be slightly lacking in knee space in the driver's seat.
You can't go wrong with a Honda Pilot. There are fancier SUV's out there but when all things are considered, you can't beat a Honda.

AWD system; third row seats; lots of leg room in all three rows; good visibility; roomy.

More knee room in driver's seat.

Transmission problems on a new Pilot
By ajit5

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am extremely disapppointed at the quality of Honda.
I had purchased a 2011 honda pilot EXL as a family vehicle in October of 2011.
With 9200 miles on it I already have a transmission problem.
Luckily I bought extended care on the vehicle, but this is the second time in less than 1 year.
First time they had to replace a valve and now they are saying they have to replace the transmission.
To top it they say it will take 10 days to replace the transmission but will pay me only for 6 days of rental.
This is my only car.
Any ideas as to who I can go to for help.

Just Ok
By carguy163

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I was disappointed in the Pilot.
I purchased a 2011 EX-L.
What disappointed me the most was the poor gas mileage for a relatively weak engine for the size of the vehicle.
I was barely getting 17MPG overall.
I bought the SUV for the size, it is big and can carry a lot of cargo.
The ride is good, but very stiff.
I had no major problems, but there was a constant allignment issue that I had to have fixed several times.
I would not recommend because I feel there are much better other similiar vehicles available for the same money.

The amount of cargo space. The solid feel to the build quality.

Improve poor gas mileage. Increase engine performance and increase horsepower. Not fun to drive at all.

Vibration in steering when driving low speedand steering same time (walking speed, like parking)
By chris_puente

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We got the Honda Pilot 2011, since it was the best option for us in the market. I have this SUV already a year and so far I have only one issue/ concern with it. I brought the car to the Honda Dealer for schedule oil change. I made them clear that I feel vibrations and noise coming from the steering wheel during parking of the car ( you have the steer for parking) or when driving out, all this vibrations are very noticeable at low speed. I did a drive with the mechanical specialist from Honda where he said that this is the first time he got that vibrations. I request to do comparison with another pilot, same year, and till today I am waiting for their feedback. issue with hydraulic oil?

Great people hauler with some downside
By navyhawk

2011 Honda Pilot Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, we are very happy with our Pilot. Traded 2007 CRV to get more space. Also considered GMC Acadia (thought the 2nd row captains chairs would be better). Turns out actually liked the Pilot second row bench better because it is more comfortable. This SUV is very roomy inside. I also have an Audi A4, which has a quiet ride. I don't understand others complaints about road noise in the Pilot. It's quiet. Its great for family road trips and has a comfy ride; rear entertainment works great for kids (DVD and can connect to gaming system). Honda really needs to give the Pilot more power and better fuel economy to compete in this class. We get 20-21mpg AT BEST on highway.

Great interior and exterior design, spacious interior, legroom in second-row seating, private storage area in cargo, turning radius, comfortable ride.

More power, better fuel economy, more space between shifter and steering wheel (I constantly hit my hand on shifter when reaching for windshield wipers and even knocked into neutral once while going down highway), better voice recognition for hands-free features (works so poorly we never use it), better quality sound system (weak in high frequency range), "busy" center console, add-on look of trip computer (looks like an after-thought add-on), auto climate control doesn't maintain constant temp.