Used 2008 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Just what a starting family needed
By Out of 714

2008 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We got the outgoing 2008 Pilot EX-L at a great deal as the 2009's were coming in later that month. We are glad we went with the Pilot as this is my 4th Honda product. Chose the mocha metallic with saddle leather seats. The lighter color gave it the sense of more room and upscale over the gray available in the darker models. Lots of room for the baby's carseat and easy hook up to the latches. Tons of room in cargo area with 3rd row folded. Stroller and groceries fit with room to spare. Engine is very smooth and eases with on ramps and passing. The interior is a little dated, but after 5 years of this model, Honda has worked out all the bugs by now

Seat warmers, conversation mirror, tons of storage, center console, XM radio high view of road, overall fit and finish, great visibility throughout.

Needs iPod aux, trip computer, dual climate for front passengers, auto lights, road noise on some rough pavement is loud.

Love this truck!
By Jen

2008 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We traded in my 2001 Honda Civic for the Pilot. Like other reviewers, we looked at the MDX, Highlander etc. This was my favorite by far. I love the look of this truck vs a cross over. I feel like I have a presence on the road and I love looking at the car. The interior could be a little more fashionable It is pretty simple but it has plenty of storage space and room for all passengers. We recently had 6 adults in the car for an hour and everyone was comfortable. Comfortable, fun to drive, great leather and XM. Who wouldn't love this vehicle? I see a lot of complaining about the gas mileage. I am getting about 17- 18 mpg in city and 20 mpg if I am on the freeway. Pretty good!

Leather, heated seats XM, storage, cargo room, exterior looks.

More plugs, air for third row, power tailgate.

Road Noise
By Vee

2008 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

August 27th, 2008, I took my 2001 4Runner Limited to trade for 2008 Pilot AWD w/entertainment. I need more than five seats and like Pilot appealing. I have a big disappointment, ROAD NOISE! Here is my two cents for potential buyer, test drives on freeway, drive on a road with speed 40 mph or more and try to open back windows. It could break your EARDRUM. I learned how to overcome the road noise by turning on radio as loud as I can take every time I get on freeway.

Great looking car.

reduce road noise, reduce road noise, and reduce road noise.

Airbags failed to deploy
By nguyenlp

2008 Honda Pilot SUV Value Package 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my Pilot the whole time I had it. Recently I was involved in a accident where I rear ended a sedan and another SUV rear ended me. myself and the other 5 passengers were all safe, but my airbags failed to deploy; none of them. My radiator was busted, but still no airbags. I filed a complaint with Honda, but have not received a response. The NHTSA is also looking in to the matter. My insurance company told me that I hit above the airbag sensors. I'm no expert on sensors, but rear ended a sedan! My radiator was busted! The only thing I want to know is where were my airbags when I needed them?

More Airbag sensors! or maybe some that works!

Best SUV of it's Class
By Allan from Maryland

I have owned SUVs from Expeditions to Escapes and this was my third Honda purchase (never disappointed with Hondas). I love this SUV. The exterior is nice, nothing too special but as a family man I don't really care. What matters to me is a great vehicle for me and the family. We have two kids and the problem was taking along their friends. This vehicle is large enough for the family with friends and their stuff. I also drive this daily to work through narrow city streets. It's a pleasure to drive. Good acceleration, great handling and fun to drive.

Drives exceptionally well. Great handling in all weather. Great vision for driver. Easy to use controls. Lots of room. Good rear video. Solid climate control. Okay stereo, won't bust out the windows but I love xm radio (ESPN and BBC are my favorites)

Clearly Honda engineers don't have kids in car seats. The starboard (right) side third row seat belt cannot be clipped because the receiver sits underneath any normal car seat. I ended up buying a $90 car seat because it was the only model that had a narrow base to allow it to work. Shame on Honda