Used 2008 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews - 98 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Ok but not up to what I expected
By Steve

2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I sold a 4-runner when getting this, and despite it being a Honda, it has been far more problematic than it should be. I'll start with the pros though... Pros: Comfortable seats, roomy, third row, good view out, good power. Cons: Handling is boatlike around corners, road noise is more than I would have wanted, the interior has so many squeaks and rattles that I've given up having it at the dealership to fix them, various delivery defect: tire belt problem, warped rear brake rotor, multiple key FOB problems. I am hoping that the long term reliability outweighs the various downsides.

Room, tons of it for people and cargo. Seats are comfortable, and the kids like the back seat more than in any other car.

Interior integrity, delivery quality control, and road noise. Though the road noise isn't all bad - it does help conceal the squeaking from the interior.

Brakes & radio
By patricia logsdon

2008 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I like my Honda pilot but at 25,000 miles my radio went shot, had to be replaced, and then I was told my back brakes had to be replaced at 25,000 miles. That's pretty bad when you can't even get at least 75,000 miles out of a new car. Not really happy right now.

Needs better material, stains really bad, very hard to clean.

A great People and Stuff Mover
By S Oswald

2008 Honda Pilot Special Edition 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my favorite vehicle to drive. I'm not sure what is different about my Pilot, but I've got plenty of acceleration on demand. So much so, I've caught myself by surprise and squealed the tires while leaving a parking lot. I've never owned a new car before but I came into this expecting Honda reliability and my Pilot has kept up its end of the bargain. The only parts that have needed replacement or adjustment were minor and the dealer replaced them quickly and under warranty. Fuel economy is better than the EPA estimate with 24 average MPG on the interstate, city mileage is worse at 14 average MPG but I live in a city with quite a few hills.

The automatic air conditioning controls. I set it for 68 degrees and it makes it happen. I love it!

Honda should offer a Hybrid option for this vehicle. It seems like a simple task and the benefits would drastically outweigh the cost. Also, If a vehicle is sold with a roof rack, it should come with the cross bars so one could actually use the roof rack. Gotta remember that for next time.

Well built but ordinary
By mkarstad

2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Driving in the Canadian winter is not fun, yet the Pilot, even at -45 degrees C runs fine. The traction assist will catch you unaware on ice corners and might cause you to over-correct. The get-up-and-go on ice is fantastic! Cold starts without plugging in are no problem, and the engine warms up very quickly. Feild of view for a tall person is limited by the side pillars I find myself leaning forward and back with a lot of head movement while checking intersections.

The variability of the cargo space. This vehicle has great pickup.

The entertainment system controls for front and back are confusing. The base is too loud in the back and can not be balanced comfortably for all seat locations. Coffee cup holder is really poorly located for the driver!

Just what a starting family needed
By Out of 714

2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We got the outgoing 2008 Pilot EX-L at a great deal as the 2009's were coming in later that month. We are glad we went with the Pilot as this is my 4th Honda product. Chose the mocha metallic with saddle leather seats. The lighter color gave it the sense of more room and upscale over the gray available in the darker models. Lots of room for the baby's carseat and easy hook up to the latches. Tons of room in cargo area with 3rd row folded. Stroller and groceries fit with room to spare. Engine is very smooth and eases with on ramps and passing. The interior is a little dated, but after 5 years of this model, Honda has worked out all the bugs by now

Seat warmers, conversation mirror, tons of storage, center console, XM radio high view of road, overall fit and finish, great visibility throughout.

Needs iPod aux, trip computer, dual climate for front passengers, auto lights, road noise on some rough pavement is loud.