Used 2005 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews - 386 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Quintessential Honda Engineering
By Bryan Lienesch

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The powerful 3.5-liter, V6 engine gives the Pilot as much pickup as any Mid-size SUV out there without hurting fuel economy. A spacious cockpit gives the Pilot's pilot roomy comfort whether they are 5'4" or 6'8". Functionality lets you flip seats up our down in seconds to meet whatever your demands are. But perhaps best of all, the Pilot rides smooth and is one of the more reliable models from a typically very reliable company. All in all, from its beautiful, edgy body to its fast and reliable engine, the Pilot will give you fun and let you keep it with few snags along the way. Maintain this vehicle religiously and the routine maintenance will be the only shop time it sees!

V6 3.5-liter 255HP engine, 6-way driver power seat, alloy wheels, Homelink system, 6-disc CD player.

Rear-lifting glass separate from tailgate, better standard-issue tires, more second row seating, more concealed storage.

Almost a Jeep
By crm

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the Pilot used to replace a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. Slid the Pilot on ice into a fence (minimal damage - breakaways and scratches only!), and rented my old favorite (Jeep) while being repaired -- found out I missed the Pilot so much! Solid vehicle, so far very reliable! Gas mileage depends upon my foot - have gotten 19.5mpg around town and 24mpg highway when driving carefully, but the 255hp is too tempting! So I average 18/22 instead! Am VERY happy for around town, long trips, family adventures - fits everything we do!

Seating capacity, cargo room, 255hp, large feel without the large vehicle, sound system, cup holders, reliability, safety features, 4x4 locker, road clearance, solid driving - almost everything! With new tires it always feels safe to drive in any weather!

Factory tires awful in rain/snow. Thought I had brake issues - turned out to be the tires! Replaced with mid- range tires and no more problems!! Would like tighter steering. 2nd row seats fold almost flat but not quite... Can't lock doors to warm up in the winter - risk of theft if left unattended

Best SUV I have ever had.
By John

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2005 EX-L to replace a 2003 Pilot. After 57,00 miles, this has been the best driving SUV I have ever owned. The power was surprisingly peppy. It is easy to maneuver and drives more like a car than a truck. I am having a difficult time justifying paying up for a 2009 Pilot that weighs 177 pounds more, 3ft pounds more torque, but 5 less horsepower (250 vs 255). I added the tow package on myself and tow my motorcycles, Waverunner, and loaded utility trailer weighing 2000#+ with ease through Wisconsin hills. I bought an aftermarket Garmin GPS and don't really miss any of the other new gadgets. We have had a few minor problems that were covered by the warranty. Great in snow/ice.

255hp + 250 ftlb torque = peppy acceleration for SUV and reasonable towing capacity. Rear DVD system with headphones keeps kids entertained on long trips. Third seat mandatory with 3 sons - 11, 16 & 18.

Nothing.

Solid Vehicle
By Steve

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This an extremely solid vehicle. I really have no complaints. I live in Michigan where we get a lot of snow and ice. It's nearly impossible to get this car to slip or slide. It has more than enough cargo space, yet it doesn't feel like an enormous vehicle when you're in it. I did have to have a power window motor replaced, but it was covered under warranty. Other than that, I haven't had so much as a hiccup through 53,000 miles. The only issue I have is that the Pilot is kind of boring. There's nothing exciting about the interior or exterior design, but I can think of much worse problems to have.

Dependability, handling in winter weather, cargo versatility, comfortable, car-like ride.

Telescoping wheel for more adjustability, larger lumber supports, make it a bit more exciting.

The Best
By Mark Mitchell

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a terrific vehicle. It rides well, handles well, has lots of room and has every feature you need. Reliability is top notch and you can't beat the value.

Ride, space, DVD for the kids, reliability,

Add automatic headlights and compass.