Used 2005 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews - 386 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Less than 500 miles and a serious prblm
By huntersdl

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love Hondas ... don't get me wrong... but I now believe the street rumors that they aren't as reliable as they used to be.... My story.. on the second day of ownership... less than 100 miles I start to brake but it is doing nothing... I press harder and the pedal goes down to the max and its just barely stopping... luckily no one was in front of me... finally stopped and tested it at the next light and it worked fine... 3 weeks later it happened to my wife and again lucky no one was in front... Called honda and they agreed with me in that they think it is the master Cylinder.... We will see if it fixes it but less than 500 miles and it does this? I'm optimistic it will be ok!

Good Room... quiet, comfy, good handling, decent pickup for a 4600 lb beast.

Compass, LCD interior lights, better tires, 2nd row seat that disappears totally like the 3rd, tweeters above the head..... and rear air above the head not in the middle... and a back window that rolls down.....

Gas mileage is terrible!
By L Lenell

2005 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I like the car but can't afford the gas. We are paying about $80.00 a week for gas. I wish we had gone with the cr-v

Handles well
By Marcy

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Handles great on highway and in town .Good gas mileage Easy to see out all windows

Comfort inside

Add a sunroof

Great Start
By Jeff

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had the vehicle for less than two months. So far I have had no problems. I traded in my old Jeep Grand Cherokee for the Pilot. In terms of ride, handling, & interior design the Pilot is superior to my old Jeep (which I really enjoyed). The Pilot seats are more comfortable than the Jeep seats, though the Jeep seats were excellent for long trips & I have to not yet had the Pilot on an extended trek to make that level of comparison. I have yet to experience snow or more than very light off-road conditions so I can't compare performance in tough going as of yet.

Lot's of space & storage cubby holes. Great small touches such as grab handles everywhere, hooks to hold the floor mats in place, excellent ergonomics. Very good ride, handling, & power.

The vehicle is very new to me, so I haven't really found anything that I would change as of yet.

a very balanced SUV
By path

2005 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Suspension is tighter than TrailBlazer and Ford 150 and also less body roll, which make it quite accord like and easier to drive than my old acord. 3rd row seats are not bad at all for asians. But, there is not much space left when all up. Low-end performance could be improved, but highway passing is a breeze. The auto5 trans responds quickly for normal driving. It shifts between 5k-6k rpm if you floor it. It's not as quiet as camery and there is a lot of wind noise at 80+ mph. But, that is the same with TrailBlazer. F150 is quieter though. My pilot had a "winnnnn..." sound at 60-70mph at the neginning, which went away after breaking-in at 1K miles.

Nothing is outstanding in Pilot. But, it is just such a well balanced SUV for a family without a boat. Singles should look at Pathfinder and the rich shouldn't be here. I have got 21mpg at 80~90mph in the first 2K miles, and I am happy with it.

The speaker need to be thrown out. Serious distortion at low and high, and not accurate at mid. Mind you, I am not an audiophile. MP3/CD player should be a standard, or at least, an input jack. The tail turning lights are too dark, not striking enough for drivers behind.