Used 2005 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews - 389 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

AVOID - Transmission Fails
By Christopher Mason

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a 2005 Pilot with 150k on the engine. Ran great and girlfriend loved it (her car) until the transmission just went out. This is a know issue and I really wish I'd caught it before dumping $10k plus over $1k for new tires and breaks. Car didn't last a year. Bought Honda because like most we thought they 'ran forever'. Never again.

'05 PILOT - 285,000+ miles and still purrs
By DeeDee

2005 Honda Pilot LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

cons- (keep in mind that my vehicle is 11 years old) *one of my headlight lenses has moisture build up on the inside, *my cd changer malfunctions often (I have 2 cd players. The one that only takes one cd at a time plays just fine *the rubber molding around the lift gate is loosening *the keys no longer will fit nor unlock the driver door *had to replace the fan as a piece of it had come loose *when not in use, the air conditioning/heating unit makes a low grumbling noise unless the control knob is turned as far as it will go on hot or cold (when it is not in use) *the older it gets the more sensitive it is to gasoline grade. The engine light will come on if it doesn't like the gas but will go off when that gas has run out *sometimes I can smell antifreeze, but have never had a problem with the radiator or the engine temperature running too hot pros- I LOVE MY PILOT!!!!!! *It has a weird sound when it's starting up (I'd recognize my SUV starting up from any other vehicle) but it has NEVER failed me *it handles the road beautifully *it's still a smooth ride *the engine is still quiet *the sound system is awesome *it has taken me to Lake Erie from NC at least 5 times or more per year, several times to Miami, all over the east coast, in snow storms and heavy rain with no problems whatsoever! *I love the ease of changing from 2 rows of seats to 3 rows and everyone seats comfortably *it has plenty of storage spaces and cup holders *it has quick acceleration (hubby got a warning ticket for his speed, he wasn't ready!) *I have been blessed to never have had a major repair bill. The most that I have paid for a repair is $150 for the fan *there's so much more about my PILOT that I could add. I just love it and will get another one. My Dad is looking to get one and my daughter is looking for a CRV. Love the Honda motor!!!!

10 year old Honda Pilot...strong vehicle.
By Chris Williamson

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've always wanted an SUV. Dreamt of driving a Ford Explorer. Then I came across this Honda Pilot at the dealership's used lot. It had one adult owner and meticulous records, taken in for oil changes, maintenance, and repair like clockwork. So it was in great condition and it showed. I've now been driving it for a few months and I love it! It has 3 rows of seats in case I need to haul people, but those fold down to create a lot of cargo space if I need to haul equipment. It's a 2005 so of course I upgraded the stereo (had a tape player lol). The speakers are next. the starter went out as did the AC. The starter was a pain to fix but I did it myself. The AC I haven't taken in yet. Hopefully it doesn't cost too much. Overall a great ride!

Great car
By Eric

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our Pilot
By Piloteer101

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After out 2010 Chrysler Town & Country was totaled we found this beauty on the lot. It's pretty to look at, the paint on this thing is AMAZING. We like that the outside looks small, but there's 8 seats. It's really fun and smooth to drive too. Just wish that you could get DVD entertainment along with Navigation at the same time, not sure why that wasn't possible.