Used 2004 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews - 557 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Great concept, mixed bag on execution
By Seattle

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Pilot brand new in 2/2004 as a "do it all" vehicle. We looked at the Highlander (too expensive & small) and the Forester XT (way fun to drive but alas, too small. We ended up buying the Piolt EX-L. We are impressed with the ride quality and the road manners. A couple of faults have dampened our enthusiasm. The main seal started leaking oil at 55,000 miles. The dealer took care of that under warranty. Driver's side seat- heater went on the blink and burned your tush. This is a known issue with the pilot and the dealer denied that it was a problem. Brake rotors warping & paint job is uneven. Honda could have done better! A tip for Honda, listen to your customers! Don't be arrogant

Ride quality, space utilization, traction in inclement weather.

Paint quality, road noise, larger brake rotors, tune engine for low-end torque, listen to your customers when they bring problems to your attention!

Honda pilot transmission is horrible
By proudmom0507

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I first bought it I loved it. But then soon after I had the transmission go out and after research found a recall on the transmission. Honda has not been helpful at all. Now I have to go pay 4000+ to get my car fixed although it should be their money paying for it since it was recalled. They said they fixed it by putting in an oil jet kit but it is far from fixed! Very disappointed! Also the drivers side seat gets very hot to the point where I start smelling my clothes almost burning! So much for heated seats when you cannot use them.

DVD system

Transmission is junk and heated seats need to not burn so much you are afraid of it starting a fire.

Solid SUV
By Pilot Owner

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this SUV for six and a half years. The car is very reliable. Besides the normal maintenance (oil, brakes, batter), the car has needed new rear shocks ($450 at 66K miles) and two new engine mounts ($650 at 68K miles). The shocks were blown because we overloaded the car on a long trip, but the engine mounts are a common problem for Odysseys and Pilots. We love the car because it is powerful and does the job.

Good power, versatility, great reliability, lots of storage

Better mileage, longer wheelbase, more rear seat leg room.

Unsatisfactory paint
By mrs1709

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The paint is literally peeling off of my pilot. It all started when the vehicle was about 3 years old, I contacted Honda who told me it was due to using car washes instead of hand washing. Ha, it's never been in a car wash but still they would do nothing. Now I must pay for a paint job before winter because it is rusting. My Honda is the blue metallic and the paint is horrible! Shame on you Honda!

Better Paint

Owned for 7 years and still love it
By Mom in Minnesota

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I went to the dealer and after viewing new Pilots, and knowing how great the one I already own is, I decided to wait 2-3 more years to trade it in on a new one. My Pilot has been great to own, I have not had any problems except to replace the brakes and tires. It always starts, and runs great. I would buy another exactly if I did not want to upgrade to leather and change colors!

8 person seating, and realibity

bad vibration on the highway with windows open.