Used 2004 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews - 558 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Cheap Air Conditioner
By anthonysch

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Pilot in 04 and it has been mechanically reliable and comfortable with the exception of the AC. After 45k the compressor went out and I was quoted 1500 dollars for the repair. I also had another Honda with the same problem. The dealership was willing to give me a small break on the repair, no doubt because they are fully aware of the problem. I have 200k on my Camry and the air works great. Honda, please upgrade your cheap ACs.

the good old days when my AC worked.

Honda, please upgrade your cheap AC Compressors and the cheap plastic near the seat adjustment switches that break too easily.

LOVE my Pilot
By mathspiffy

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Pilot in Feb. 2012.
It had approximately 87,000 miles on it.
I upgraded from a Honda Civic to get more space for kids, cargo, and to have a great roadtrip vehicle for the family.
Our Pilot has been everything we needed and more.
All we've done is regular maintenance, and we have had no problems.
It drives like a dream on the highway and has TONS of space for carseats, kid stuff, and other cargo.
We are adding a hitch for a cargo rack and the running boards next, and it'll be perfect.
We are very pleased with our Pilot and will be keeping it as long as it runs!

+ Lots of cargo and headroom + 3 carseats can fit in the back + Third row seat is great for carrying more kids or road trips with the family + Smooth easy ride on the highway + Tight turning radius for a car of its size making parking in tight spots easy + Good factory sound system + Easy to install hitch, running boards, and roof rack + Reasonable MPG for its size and class

- I'd love to have full 4x4 in this vehicle, but the VTM-4 feature is good for emergencies - Leather was cracked and pretty worn on the front seats but doesn't snag clothing and isn't torn. - We installed an iPod jack which took a professional installation. It was not something we could do easily on our own. - 3rd row seat is only good for small adults or kids. Not a full size seat, but back seats are plenty big and roomy for adults.

So far so good........
By fukengroovin

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2004 Pilot EX-L in Dec 2008 with 52,900 miles. I'm now at 110,300 miles. I am a DIY mechanic and have done all the scheduled maintenance myself. The 17 city and 22 hwy fuel ratings are not accurate. Best highway was 21 and routinely get 18-19mpg in mixed driving at high altitude in Colorado and Wyoming. When I lived in Southern California, I routinely got 15-16mpg in mixed driving and a highway best of 19. So fuel quality and altitude definitely effect fuel economy. I've replaced motor mounts, spark plugs, shocks/struts, timing belt, and valve adjustments. Overall a great vehicle with no transmission problems.

I strongly recommend replacing the small donut spare tire with a full sized spare. It will fit just fine underneath even with the factory trailer hitch. Get a steel wheel from a Pilot LX for less than $50 and a new or used 235/70/16 tire.

2004 Honda Pilot EX-L
By flamio

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car with over a 100K on it and have had it for about a year.
So far it has been fantastic!
It has nice power and runs very well.
A couple months ago I hit a big Ohio deer and I barely felt it. Me and my family were completely safe, which made me very happy I bought this SUV.
Last winter I could not get my Odyssey up my long driveway in the snow, with this, it's a breeze.
The leather is comfortable.
The kids love the heated seats. I'm 6'4" and it's very roomy.
Sound system is awesome.
I average about 19.6mpg.
On a long trip through Canada I actually had 25mpg highway. It's used, buy the extended warranty if you're worried about the tranny going and drive worry free!

Black color. Looks. Traction. Comfort. Heated seats. Speakers.

Cup holder angles up front. Longer trunk area.

documented torque converter problems...DON"T BUY
By hapeacres

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a used 04 Pilot with 100K from a used car lot for 9,000. The car drove great during the test drive. On the way home I felt a "rumble strip" like noise under the car when exiting the highway at about 40 mph. I found out that the torque converter is a common problem and leads to transmission failure on the 03 to 05 Pilots.
Acura did recall on this same problem. Why not Honda? Are they waiting for someone to die? My car was bought "as is" so I am S*** out of luck. I am still a Honda fan as I bought an 08 CRV for my wife which performs flawlessly, as well as two ATV's which I beat the snot out of. However, I am ready for a class action suit on this one!