Used 2003 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews - 855 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Pilot is predictablily reliable
By pilot rocks

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After one year ownership no problems at all. Not even minor. Safe, rides great, plenty of power and room for kids, parents and grandparents.

looks

none

Trashy Transmission
By Pilot Problem

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Warning: Do not but Honda Pilot with V6 and auto tranny. My tranny went out after warranty went out. Even dealer told me that there was a problem with the Pilot and the V6 with auto tranny. A $2500 fix for me. I am a disabled veteran and live on a fixed income. Bought Pilot expecting to get about 250,000 miles out of it. What a joke. If you buy, plan on trading before power train warranty runs out. Do not end up with the same problem that I did. Warning. Do not buy Honda Pilot with V6 and auto tranny.

Eight seats that fold and lots of storage. Room for everybody, if the tranny would hold up.

Transmission

Transmission Problems
By Disappointed

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I would not recommend the Honda Pilot to anyone that intends on keeping the vehicle for a long time. My transmission went at 101,000 miles and the maintenance had always been done by the book. Looking at $2500 to replace transmission. Once repaired, I will make sure that it belongs to someone else within a few days. Will not buy another Honda. I have owned a couple of Honda Accords and they were good cars. The Pilot Sux. Wanted something bigger because I am a disabled veteran with leg injuries and needed the extra leg room. If you but a Pilot, you had better buy the triple super duper extended warranty with it, because you will have transmission problems.

None over any other SUV of its size...

Better transmission, or, extend warranty to cover transmission and drive train to 100,000 miles.

A Great SUV without the bulk
By mcm

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this is may of 2006 for 18k with 34k miles on it. I replaced the tires and brakes, along with fixing the rear a/c ($50) and 5 minutes of my time to install the new part. My wife primarily drives this car, and she has really enjoyed it. It has proved excellent in the snow here I despite being able to carry 8 people, this car is only slightly longer than my 98 Subaru wagon. We have taken many 1000 miles trips, and have been very impressed in the power and handling. On trips averaging 80-85 mph, we average a bit over 20 mpg which is outstanding considering the size and power. Even with all season tires, the awd does great, and the vcm lock is great for really slippery conditions.

This car fits my wife well (5 ft 4) and myself (6 ft 2), there is always plenty of room, and we really like being able to see over most other vehicles. I really like the 3rd row, only takes a minute or so to set that up. We don't off road much, but for light duty it does great.

The brakes are little weak, but aftermarket pads and rotors should cure that, other than that, Honda did a pretty decent job for their 1st 8 passenger suv.

1sthondaluvit
By pilotcopilot

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have only owned this vehicle for around a month, but love it! Replaced a worn out Mercury Sable wagon with it and never looked back. It drives impeccably and handles like a dream! Even though it has 78000 miles on it, runs like new. I have owned other Japanese vehicles in the past and loved them. This by far is the most comfortable and best handling of any!

Love the leather interior, like new and fits like a glove! The cargo space is fantastic! Not too many things I don't like except it's my wife's car and I only get to drive it on the weekends! We have gone on one long trip around 950 miles and arrived refreshed and ready to go after 15 hrs.

Better gas mileage. Better tires.