Used 2012 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

3+ years & 28,000 miles
By CTJ

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving my 2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L. I have 28,000 miles on it and have made no repairs to it, other than standard maintenance like oil changes, air filters, tire rotation. I've had no problems whatsoever.

I agree with the other reviewer who said the headrests are uncomfortable. I also wish there were more USB ports in the rear, but I believe that was added on the newer models.

Overall, I love this van!

Lots of small problems
By Don

2012 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The oil pan leaked off of the lot, steering column squeaks, the headrest forces your head to tilt down, and the sliding door roller makes a pulsing/tapping sound. This car has been garaged and parts are defective from the factory.

Buyer beware
By clint

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new. About 10k miles both front shock strouts came loose. (noticed a clicking noise during slow sharp turns). One strout replaced and the other only tightened. Covered under warranty, but in the shop for a week. 36,036 miles power steering pump went out. (Noticed excessive whining noise . Dealer refused to cover since the 36000 mile warranty expired. Lucky we had a 3rd party 100k mile warranty (deductable was $100). Finally 39k miles and after an 800 mile road trip. The traction control light and check engine light came on. Take it to the dealer and they find the piston rings wore out prematurely. Covered under the lawsuit settlement against Honda. This motor has been known to burn oil! So we took it to A local dealership and sold it. Honda is not what it used to be. Never buying Honda again. We have a new Sienna SE. Hope we have better luck !

IF you have to drive a minivan this is the one to
By Phil Brewer

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

SO, no one lays awake at night dreaming of their new minivan, right? A BMW 5 series, yes! A minivan, not so much. THat being said, I needed a minivan, I insisted on a degree of luxury and comfort combined with good handling and economy at the gas station. THis car did it all. Overall I averaged 24mpg in 55k miles of driving. Easily got 29-31mpg on the highway. Admittedly I am not a lead-foot. For my everyday commute it was fine. Where it really shone was trips to Costco and family treks. I could get all four of my kids and my wife and travel in comfort with the fantastic extra wide DVD entertaining them. I loaded up all my CD's on the harddrive for unlimited listening options. THe Nav display is recessed so it doesn't get direct sun glare. I would definitely recommend it as the best minivan option for someone who needs one. As for winter driving, the forward traction 2WD was pretty good and I made it better by switching to snow tires during the cold months.

Disappointed to say the least
By CN

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After a dismal experience with a 2011 Toyota Sienna, which we purchased new, we bought the Odyssey in large part based on the 140,000 trouble-free miles put on our 2003 Odyssey.

Initially, all was well. But, in two years and a tad under 50,000 miles, we had to replace the power steering pump and transmission (though that took four trips to the dealer before Honda relented). There was also a chronic grinding/whining noise that intermittently came from the a/c compressor and was never fixed. Not wanting to risk more failures, we traded it in for a 2014 Odyssey before the warranty ran out.

Eighteen months and 31,000 miles into the 2014 model, it has been trouble-free, just like the 2003 model.