Used 2008 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

She loves the van
By kagey1

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife had gone on record as saying she would never drive a minivan. Three kids later she's driving the Odyssey and loves it. The interior is extremely versatile and great room for the kids, their friends and all of the accumulated stuff. We've had it on several trips and it's performed great with just over 25 mpg on the highway and around 19-20 around town. The seats are comfortable and it drives more like a car than most vans and handles surprisingly well. It does have a lot of wind noise, primarily from the front passengers seat, but we just turn the radio up. The breaks are softer than what I'd prefer but not to the point of feeling like we're in danger. My wife's glad we bought it.

Adaptability of seating, handling of vehicle, ride comfort, storage space especially in floor storage, VCM makes gas mileage livable.

Do something about the road and wind noise, improve the breaks, and since we're wishing it would be nice to have the option of a hybrid, especially for in town driving,

Average
By JTLS

2008 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought after totaling 02 Grand Caravan. Has awesome power, looks great. Climate control poor, only can control temp of rear cabin and not fan speed or mode from the front. Interior is extremely uncomfortable and hard. Dome lights will not go off automatically (What?). I drive mostly highway @ 80MPH and get about 18MPG. Caravan was 22MPG. Kinda confusing about maint schedule. There is no set time, you have to rely on the comp to tell you when to take it in. Might be 7500 miles or 3000. Stereo controls are too far away from driver to be comfortable. Hopefully the reliability and longevity will compensate for the shortfalls. Wish I had my Dodge back but playing the cards I'm dealt.

Power. Handling. Style. It likes to run fast.

Softer interior. Better armrests. Auto/off dome lights. Better designed climate control.

Great Minivan
By RV

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Honda experience. A very reliable well built car. Has many features but always wondered why they couldn't have a back-up sensor (versus a camera) or a windshield wiper fluid sensor, common features on American made vehicles. One of the few minivans still in production. My biggest complaint in the navigation system, which was outdated the minute I drove it off the floor. The system also tells you that you have arrived at your destination when you are still at least a block away. You can't get the back up camera without buying the navigation system. I carry a plug in portable system for navigation.

Audio system. Reliability. Handling.

Provide an easy and inexpensive to update navigation system rather than the current outdated system.

Wish I had leased another Sienna
By Todd

2008 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Lease was up on my 05 Sienna, so I leased an 08 Odyssey, due to the better lease rate and better exterior styling. Wow do I miss my Sienna after 4 months. The Honda feels so cheap in every way. Fit and finish is TERRIBLE. Several paint flaws, poor fit of exterior trim, horrible fit of interior trim and interior surfaces which feel cheap and scratch ridiculously easily. Brakes are downright scary, they are so soft. Stereo is the worst I have heard since the AM in my old 66 VW. Rough ride, excessive wind noise and an amazing number of rattles round out the package. Hopefully this thing at least turns out to be reliable.

Exterior styling and comfortable seats... that's about it.

Improve build quality and fit and finish. For the money the quality should be similar to Toyota, but as it stands now, the quality is not even as good as Kia, which also has good exterior styling and a much lower price. This is the first Honda I ever purchased and also the last.

Update on earlier review
By Phred

2008 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car 6 months ago and the more I see of it the more I think I made the wrong choice. Got stuck in a snow bank and of course there are no hooks under the car to attach a chain to pull it out - dig, dig, dig!!! Two months ago the side sliding door jumped off the track and had to be repaired -- two days in the shop!! On real cold days, before driving, the tire pressure alert show low tire pressure. I think Honda needs some better engineering!!

Not many to rave about!

See above and earlier post.