Used 2004 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 384 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Odyssey Excellency
By SportGears

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van in 2004 and it's still going strong at 160k miles. No problem whatsoever. We love this car... highly recommended.

reliability

Hybrid for truck. Why not hybrid for this van. That would be perfect. Anyone ever thought of that????? Hello...

Honda Disappoints
By Elisa N.

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned several models of Honda in my life. I have always equated Honda with quality. Not so any more. My Honda Minivan has been a huge LEMON. The transmission failed me at 60,000 miles and I was almost killed when it happened. I have spent a fortune on this Honda minivan and I wish I had bought a LEXUS or an INFINITI instead. I love the automatic doors but that's about it. Unfortunately HONDA has severely disappointed me with their transmission issues. I am no longer a lover of HONDA. I need to find a new reliable brand of car. SHAME!!!

Good van for the price
By dcordell

2004 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got a good deal on a 04 Odyssey LX with 55,000 miles on it so I chose it over the more expensive Sienna. In the three months I've owned it I have been impressed with the power, roominess, handling, and reliability. This van will keep up with the traffic with no strain, even in the mountains of NC. Handling is good and it really sticks to the road but the ride on mine is not smooth. You can use the van to do some pretty hefty hauling with the 3rd row seat in the floor and and the 2nd row moved out. With the seats up it seats 7 fairly comfortably. The little lug wrench that comes with the van wouldn't budge the lugs when I had a flat. Overall I have been pleased with the van.

I like the roomines, power, handling, and reliability. Stow and go back seat is convenient. Visibility is great. Has rear AC and heat, power locks, cruise with the controls on the steering wheel. Steering is very precise. I have gotten up to 26 MPG on the highway (with AC off).

The ride is bumpy and not smooth on mine and the road noise is bad. Squeaks and rattles sometimes. Had to replace a motor mount and CV axle. Door stops are worn and need replacing down the road. LX model does not have remote entry, automatic locks, power seats, or power sliding doors.

2004 Honda Odyssey transmission-beware
By 71chall340

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The vehicle is one of the best driving vans I have owned. The van has been reliable (other than rear vent window motors) for 85,000 mi. until my transmission had to be replaced. I previously serviced my transmission at the dealer ship with fluid changes. I was lucky to have purchased an extended 5 yr/100,000mi warranty. The early 2004 model year had a recall for this same problem in which my car didn't fall under. I feel Honda should compensate those out of warranty because this problem goes beyond the recall time period.

The power and response of the 3.5 engine is impressive. The folding rear seat gives plenty of storage room. Van requires regular fuel.

Transmission issue needs to be addressed, stock head light bulb brightness and fuel door release location.

Transmissions
By Phil

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

You MUST follow the scheduled maintenance of the transmission... which means drain and fill EVERY 40,000 miles. People let it go, then wonder why the tranny fails?

I love this "car" (drives like one)! I have a bad back, but can drive this car 1000 miles or more without a break, just wish MPG was better!

I would LOVE to see the European Odyssey in our U.S. market, FYI the Euro Odyssey is similar to a Mazda 5 in size or "like a tall Accord".