Used 2004 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 384 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

what honda won't tell you
By phidknee

2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

tranny, radio, engine mounts , sliding doors , rear vent windows , battery cables are the cause of many problems with this van in my opinion ,change at least the positive side . Now the big problem the tranny in 2004
mid year
(April I believe) is when you have a chance to have your tranny last . 1
do a total drain on tranny fluid ( you tube ) while running van . 2 change tranny filter , yes you need to look up on
Honda parts drawings , there is a filter ! 3 you need to install a tranny cooler a second tranny
inline filter( magna filter ) all the rest you can also find on you tube . You must have some knowledge about car repairs .Also do all your yearly maintenance on time ( timing belt

230K and no major problems
By danielc2

2004 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the Van new. We drove it a lot. Never had any major problems. We lost it when it was totaled in an accident. We miss it. We used Mobil 1 and changed the oil about every 5,000 miles. Changed the timing belt at 110K. Changed the brake pads myself and never had to replace rotors. The only thing not working when it was totaled was the clock light, rear windows and temperature control.

Otherwise great van.
I would by another 2004 but we are out of the kid mode.

Comfort, low maintenance, rear DVD player. Rear seat folds out do the way. Rear A/C is great on hot days to quickly cool van down.

Rear window motors died early on.

Tranmission Failure
By brenyahoo

2004 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I can't help but return to this site to provide our feedback.
We had our 2004 Honday Odyssey transmission fail around 90K miles and after 50K miles the rebuild is now starting to fail again.
We were stupid and didn't look back at reviews at the time - we should have because we of course now know this was a known problem. So nice to know a Honda dealership salesperson would sell you a vehicle they knew had problems.
It's not a terrible vehicle but having the transmission problems is unacceptable. We don't buy another honda regardless.

Build a car with reliable transmissions.

3 Transmissions in Under 100k
By bob546

2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Honda Paid for the 1st two, third was on us, and it cost 5k.
My friend has a 2002 ody, and his trans died 4 times, my neighbor has a 2003 Ody, and she is on her 2nd transmission.
In the history of automotive "junk" the 99-04 Odysseys will go in the annals as the biggest piece of crap Honda has ever built.

When the transmission is working.

A working transmission would be nice.

Electronically Junkie!
By jacksonmom3

2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my van new.
We replaced the engine mounts not too long after the warranty expired.
The rear windows electronics shortly died thereafter.
We paid to get it painted hoping to stretch a couple more years out of it (it only had 95K miles on it at this point).
Then our transmission went out!
Another $4500 down the tube.
So, we are trying to recoup some money by hanging on to it, but recently (133K miles now) our rear doors have started going out, and I hear a clunking noise occassionally. Looking at the Murano or possibly CRV--almost scared to buy another Honda though!

Comfortable seats, ease of using DVD

Transmission, rear door electronics, engine mounts and rear window electronics.