Used 2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews - 391 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Lemon
By jr

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Most car companies have lemons even if it's once in a blue moon. I bought my new Odyssey on a blue moon. The very least a company can do about a lemon after not being able to fix the problem is to replace it. Honda had my van in their shop for a month and still couldn't figure it out. The dealer had the nerve to blame me for the problem stating I put diesel by mistake and saying that he has proof. That accusation ended my claim. After three years of nothing but problems and one near accident when the engine just died on a freeway with my 1 year old and 3 year old inside. I decided to get a Sienna. I called the corporation and told them about the near mishap but did not get any sympathy.

Seats were great!!!

Better customer relations and if safety is your first priority then show it, not just in writing.

What Honda Quality?
By Kim

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle new in 2003. It has been a good van until now. This week the transmission failed at $89,000 and Honda is quoting $5000 for repairs. Van has been very well taken care of. Called Honda America and they came down to $3675. Still too high---private garage on the outside quoted $1900 - $2600. Although the warranty is better w/ Honda, who can afford that bill in this economy! My Ford Explorer lasted longer than this Van...it made it to 125K with no major repairs!! This was my first and last Honda purchase!

The amount of space.

Fix the transmission flaws.

Motor mount change not true
By jake

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Van is very reliable and useful whether you're hauling people or building materials. MPG is very poor though maybe needs a new tire. I read about motor mount issue on odyssey. I experienced the same thing when I brought to dealer for maintenance. The associate told me, I need to replace motor mount. I said no because it was expensive then brought van to a mechanic, turns out my motor mount is okay.

lowered trunk is very handy

MPG needs improvement. Motor on the back window needs to be more durable.

Bad Transmission
By Another Honda???

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This model year has several major limitations that you will consistently read about online. The transmission had a recall early after purchase and recently finally bit the dust completely. It's always had trouble changing gears, slipping and revving. All of the electric windows have broken and are outrageously expensive to repair. The engine block mounts have been repaired...also incredibly expensive and the brakes are in continuous need of replacement. Each maintenance appointment brings new issues.

I have enjoyed the space and individual seats for each family member. The cargo capacity is great, although the seats are very heavy and cumbersome. This Honda has a lot of cup holders.

If the transmission is a lemon then the entire item should be recalled.

Honest evaluation 2003 Honda Odyssey
By Enrique Cornejo

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very noisy inside the cabin. Not very good seats for long trips. Bad transmission. According with Honda, the transmission failed one year after new, in 2004. Even Honda admitted is a bad transmission, but they didn't do anything. Broke two (2) engine mounts (first time in my life). In my opinion, not as good as the publicity wants us to believe.

Style

The timing belt should be a chain belt, not rubber that you need to change at 80000 miles or so at a cost of $600.00. Isolate the cabin from road noise. Design better seats for at least 2 hours of driving without changing position over and over. Be honest with your clients!!!!!!!