Used 2003 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 391 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

knock on wood- no problems here.
By mom2edna

2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van new in '03. It now has 85k miles. After reading about the transmission problems that others are having I feel pretty lucky. i haven't had any big issues with mine. Just this past week the passenger power window motor broke $200 repair. The sliding doors act up sometimes, but it usually happens when children & adults are pushing the auto open buttons and door handles/locks at the same time. The only other issue I've had is the radio controls on the steering wheel. I can't lower the volume-when I hit the button the radio gets louder. I also don't like the seek/scan that they have on the wheel. It only scrolls thru your pre-set stations rather than all the stations.

power doors on both sides controlled on keychain. heated seats. 3rd row seat flips over for tailgate seating. instruments are laid out well. rear heat and a/c controlled up front or in the back. 2nd row captain chairs.

cupholders that kids in carseats can reach-the middle row cup holders are in bad spot. power 3rd row- seat is HEAVY, especially if its down in floor and you are a short person. Move front pwr outlet up, my long cord on my gps digs in the carpet. . larger sunglasses holder-none of mine fit.

Odyssey should have been more
By Cookie

2003 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It all began with broken motor mounts at 90,000. Never heard of this. Transmission failed at 127,000 miles several months ago. Honda recommended a $4000 replacement of sealed transmission. Found someone who did the work for a lot less. It runs fine now. I was hoping to get 200,000 miles but I have my doubts that this car will last another 3 years. Seats are very uncomfortable for long drives. I always thought Hondas were the best but I have my doubts about them now.

Drives well. Very tight turning radius. Very zippy and responsive for a minivan.

Fix the transmission problems.

Still kickin' at 127k
By Bluestar

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall this van has been pretty good to us. We bought it new and had the transmission recall done immediately within a few months of buying I think. I have had the tranny fluid changed every 15k and flushed every 30k and never had a problem with it. The 3 stupid motor mounts needed to be replaced though at 90k covered under our 100k warranty thankfully. That seemed like a strange part to wear out. Rear main seal was leaking oil and just replaced at 120k. Engine has been bullet proof with just a timing belt/water pump service at 105k. We have been very satisfied with this vehicle.

Good mileage for a big vehicle, love the fold flat 3rd row seat. Great spacious kid hauler.

Change the motor mount design.

What problems?
By Christina H.

2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Since the time I purchased my van I've NEVER had a single problem! When the recall for the transmission's second gear came up I took it in for repair immediately and it's run perfectly ever since. No lights came on unexpectedly, doors worked fine every time; I've always kept up with oil changes and yearly tune-ups; only invested in new brakes at 95,000 mi. (which was to be expected because I have a tendency to brake hard.)

Comfortable, great stereo, and heated back a plus!

Needed between-seat storage rather than "shelf" for items, or larger pull out storage in dash.

Transmission Beware!
By ALS

2003 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I loved this van! I do a lot of driving as a taxi mom of three children-135,000 miles to be exact. Then, I had three lights appear on the dash that indicated that the transmission was going out. I got a quote for $3500 from Honda and $2800 from a local transmission guy. The local guy told me that the month before I talked to him that he replaced more Honda transmissions than GM cars. Honda doesn't make the cars that they used to. Quite frankly, they don't care because they are selling plenty of vehicles. Please investigate this before making the same mistake that I did.

I loved the room and the comfort. I loved the reliability until the transmission fiasco.

Honda must fix this transmission problem.